Partnership advice

3 Replies

Hi Everyone!

I have a person that lives outside the US. He wants to partner with me in a few buy and hold properties. He's pretty much gonna provide cash.

What would be a "fair" way to approach this?

He's proposal was:

He puts the down payment along with closing costs. He has 25,000 dollars to put in right now.

I look for the property and we buy it.

We pay for Property management.

We both own the property and we both split cash flow in half.

Does this sound fair? Initially he wanted me to put half of the down payment, but it didn't sound fair to me.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Carlos, 

It all depends how you look at it. He wants to invest and is not able to because he lives outside the US, that puts you upfront with the investment properties for research, paperwork, etc. I just listened to a podcast yesterday that you might want to listen to and might help you answer some of your questions. 

BP Podcast 23:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/06/20...

Thanks man!!! I'll definitely listen to it :)

This sounds like a sweet deal. Make sure you guys have the proper legal arrangements and ownership structure to protect yourself and the investor.

I'm assuming the property will be or has been financed with a mortgage. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.