Picking a company name- Unique vs Simple/cheesy

2 Replies

Hey guys, I'm at the point now where I need to create a company to better support my investing.  I'm at a bit of a cross roads between picking a unique name that I would like to stand behind, or something very cheesy but simple to remember like many wholesalers and investors do (ie USA Capital,  ABC Investments, ect).  

Picking a unique company name just seems more like a personal pride/ownership thing where as I think the advantages of picking a simple/cheesy name gives prospect sellers something easy to remember if you met them on the streets, that they can recall later by look up online.

Has anyone else gone through this same thought process?

@John Ma

Stick with someone you are going to be proud to talk about each time you hand out a business card.

Nobody knew what Xerox was when they started, but they are a household name now.  

Microsoft is a bit more descriptive, but could still be just about anything tech related.  

John Ma's Expert House Flippers is pretty specific.  Unless you are insurance underwriter :)

A brand is something that needs to be built and maintained.  Logos come and go, but what sticks with people are successes and failures they had with you.  

I went with something that is vague (Incline Properties, LLC). While it isn't super descriptive, it allows me to use it for my rentals and for wholesaling. In addition, I picked it because it means something to me and is a constant reminder of why I am out there doing what I'm doing. Bottom line, like @Aaron Montague

said, it is the experience the other party will have or had with you that makes that name mean something. Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here