To Laptop, or Not Laptop?

2 Replies

As my wife and I begin our journey into real estate we are looking at upgrading our technology. We are looking strongly at a few laptops at the moment and I wanted to reach out to see what all the pro's here are currently using? Any opinions between laptops and tablets? As always, a huge thank you in advance for your replies/input!

This is should be low on your list of priorities

I'd focus on getting your first deal before worrying about what kind of computer you're going to use. It's good to think about your systems before you get started, but spending time worrying about which notebook to buy is a distraction. I'd spend that time networking and working on finding deals. Once you have so many leads that you think your current technology can't keep up with you, your investing activities will be making you money and a laptop will be a nominal cost. Warren Buffett didn't even put a computer on his desk until he was a mega millionaire.

I don't think you'll need to buy a new computer if you already have one

Real estate investing is so simple it doesn't really require the fastest computer. You need to be able to get on the web, create spreadsheets, and manage your leads. Most cell phones can handles this, but it's not enjoyable to look at a tiny phone screen for hours a day! If you're on a tight budget, maybe look at a Chromebook, but you'll find limitations with those. PC and Mac laptops that are worth  looking at as a full time computer are going to range between $650-1000. Anything more than that and you're paying too much unless you're doing graphic design or some other development.

Should you get a tablet?

Probably not if it's going to replace getting a computer. A tablet is a great compliment to a computer, but it's not going to do everything for you. If you do decide to get a tablet in place of a computer, get one that runs a full OS. You get better file hierarchy for organizing your docs and contacts. You'll thank me down the line for that one.

Get a Mac

Ha ha, this is my obligatory Mac endorsement because I used to sell and service these before my real estate days. Get whatever you want, like I said before, real estate is so simple compared to what a lot of people use computers for. Anything will work.

I do most things on an ipad and keep one in the truck,can't see the screen on cell phone worth a darn.  I can move most info to computer from ipad or ipad to computer

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here