New to REI, deciding on whether or not to purchase duplex in Oklahoma City

3 Replies

I am a newbie when it comes to REI, and I am trying to move towards purchasing my first property. I found a duplex in Oklahoma City that seems like a pretty good deal, but I'm not totally sure since I am starting out. I have included a link from Zillow. Would an FHA loan be the best financing vehicle to take?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7711-NW-113th-Pl-Oklahoma-City-OK-73162/94668829_zpid/

looks like this is just a 1/2 duplex.  i prefer to avoid buying just 1/2, best to have all of it.  i own a single family in that neighborhood though.  shoot me a msg if you have any questions.

@Josiah Mosley

As @Rhett Tullis mentioned, this appears to be only half that duplex.  

7709 NW 113th Pl, Oklahoma City, OK 73162 is the address of the right side of the house according to Google.

The 1 car garage was my first hint.

Your thinking is absolutely correct.  This would be a solid investment property on first glance if you could buy both sides for ~85k.  

I went looking for what I'd call a multi family home, but couldn't find any for sale in, or around, Oklahoma City.  Realtor.com MFH search for Oklahoma City returned a bunch of track homes mislabeled as multis.

Here is something in Tulsa:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2...

85k.  House hack it.  Live in one, use rents from the others to pay it off.

What is the downside for 1/2 duplex?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you