Good areas to invest for cash flow?

Good areas to invest for cash flow?

Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes

I've been studying real estate investing for the past 2 months and am now starting my journey to find my first deal. Like many people, my goal is to find a 3 - 4 unit multifamily that cash flows well but I'm definitely open to single family homes as long as the returns look promising.

Can anybody advise me on what areas they're having success in now and perhaps what areas you think may look good a couple of years down the road?

Thank you!

Allan

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
11y
Originally posted by @Allan L.:

@James Wise

Thanks for you advice! The Seattle area is great for appreciation but very poor for cash flowing properties and I'm open to looking out of state. 

How is Ohio? I actually had a contact out in Ohio who invests and manages properties in Ohio and Florida who seemed promising but I think he's too busy to take on new clients. I'd love to hear more about Ohio.

 Ohio, like a majority of the midwest is a market with a low barrier to entry.

You would need to decide for yourself which path you want to take. 

I do not want to go much further into the Ohio market at this time given my business interests it would likely be a biased opinion.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Allan L.

    Welcome to the site.

    I would 1st look locally. The closer to you the better.

    Those that cannot find anything that cash flows locally typically look to the Midwest.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @James Wise

    Thanks for you advice! The Seattle area is great for appreciation but very poor for cash flowing properties and I'm open to looking out of state. 

    How is Ohio? I actually had a contact out in Ohio who invests and manages properties in Ohio and Florida who seemed promising but I think he's too busy to take on new clients. I'd love to hear more about Ohio.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Allan L.:

    @James Wise

    Thanks for you advice! The Seattle area is great for appreciation but very poor for cash flowing properties and I'm open to looking out of state. 

    How is Ohio? I actually had a contact out in Ohio who invests and manages properties in Ohio and Florida who seemed promising but I think he's too busy to take on new clients. I'd love to hear more about Ohio.

     Ohio, like a majority of the midwest is a market with a low barrier to entry.

    You would need to decide for yourself which path you want to take. 

    I do not want to go much further into the Ohio market at this time given my business interests it would likely be a biased opinion.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @James Wise

    I understand that you're a real estate broker in Ohio. I don't mind if you're slightly biased but it would be awesome if you can share your views and any experience you've had. 

    How about 3 positive points about investing in Ohio and 3 negatives?

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Allan L.:

    @James Wise

    Thanks for you advice! The Seattle area is great for appreciation but very poor for cash flowing properties and I'm open to looking out of state. 

    How is Ohio? I actually had a contact out in Ohio who invests and manages properties in Ohio and Florida who seemed promising but I think he's too busy to take on new clients. I'd love to hear more about Ohio.

     What kind of cap rates are you looking for?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Allan L.:

    @James Wise

    I understand that you're a real estate broker in Ohio. I don't mind if you're slightly biased but it would be awesome if you can share your views and any experience you've had. 

    How about 3 positive points about investing in Ohio and 3 negatives?

    Thanks!

     Fair enough

    Pros

    • Homes can be purchased for a fraction of the cost of higher end markets.
    • High rental demand.
    • Relatively landlord friendly government.

    Cons

    • Loosing population to the states with warmer climates.
    • Freezing winters leave investors open to the risks of frozen pipes and property damage.
    • A small problem can turn into a big problem if your property is thousands of miles away.
  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Adrian Chu

    Minimum 12% in an area where you can expect the 50% rule to apply so I'm netting at least 6%. Does that sound doable? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @James Wise

    I've heard some great things about Ohio from other people too. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to do some more research on it. Thank you for your input James!

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Allan L.:

    @Adrian Chu

    Minimum 12% in an area where you can expect the 50% rule to apply so I'm netting at least 6%. Does that sound doable? 

     A 12% cap rate has nothing to do with you netting 6%.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

    I know the % rules are just guidelines but will you explain further if you don't mind? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

     Also what area are you from? I used to live in Manoa! Aloha. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Olive, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 310 votes
    11y

    @Allan L.

    Welcome to BP.

    Central and Southern Illinois is also a great place for cash.

    If you are interested, I could find you cash flow property.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Allan L.:

    @Account Closed

    I know the % rules are just guidelines but will you explain further if you don't mind? 

     Allan, 50% guess says that ALL expenses will run approximately half of gross rents and the mortgage will be less than the remaining 50% so there should be cash flow.

    A cap rate comes from a buyer analyzing the NOI of a property and negotiating a sales price with the seller. That creates a cap rate that subsequent buyers and sellers will use as a cap rate comp to determine the price they want to buy or sell. NOI is the rents minus vacancy and collection and ONLY operating expenses. It does NOT include Capex which is another reason why it is incorrect to extimate NOI by incorrectly using the 50% guess.  

    A cap rate should come from sales of similar properties (commercial) and calculated against your analyzed NOI to get market value. If you buy at 12% but later find out all the comps sold for 14% then you over paid. The cap rate does not predict cash flow or profitability, only the markets perception that the lower cap rate will be less risky to collect the same NOI.

    I'm between the Aquarium and the Outrigger Canoe Club now next to Jimmy Buffet's new place.  Manoa is too cold for me. 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    After listening to the show 121 with the Syrios's brothers, I am interested to look out-of-state. I lived in Minnesota (Rochester, MN) for a year so I am familiar with the negative.  I have friends over at Atlanta and Charleston, SC and I like the climate there...I wonder how it compares with the Mid-West for investing.

  • Investor · Fall City, WA · Member since 2013 · 200 posts · 63 votes
    11y

    @Allan L., how about Spokane?  It's economy is actually pretty steady, it is not as impacted as much by outside influences, low price point for homes, 60% rent market, local, population has increased steadily along with income (follows inflation).  And is somewhat local.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Brian Fouts

      I second you on this... why go half way around the country...

    Spokane  Wenatchee Tri Cities Yakama  follow the server farms into central WA.

    Follow Brandon Turner out to the Aberdeen area.. you can hit all those types of numbers in an area you can drive to if necessary... gives you greater command and control.  And people are moving to WA not moving away.. big difference

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    11y
    I like Indianapolis and Birmingham for the lower purchase prices compared to the other cash flowing markets. Helps newbies like us get more bang for there buck with limited funds. I like other markets too and will eventually move into them but this is where I got my start for now and so far I have no complaints.
  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brian Fouts:

    @Allan L., how about Spokane?  It's economy is actually pretty steady, it is not as impacted as much by outside influences, low price point for homes, 60% rent market, local, population has increased steadily along with income (follows inflation).  And is somewhat local.  

    Allen - I grew up in Spokane and just moved back from a high priced CA market so I know your dilemma. I am looking at Spokane as a better jumping off point in comparison because of the all of the reasons that Brian mentioned. 

     Brian -  Do you happen to know what kind of cap rates are trending in Spokane area currently? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.