Rehab Questions (First Short Sale)

4 Replies

Greetings BP Community,

This is my first possible shortsale and any input or advise is greatly appreciated due to items found during inspection. The property will be buy and hold. The initial rehab estimate I created is about $15k but the inspection found more than I expected(another newbie mistake). Currently waiting for formal bids from contractor but additional advise and guidance is greatly appreciated.

- Electrical not to code. There were open splices on the crawlspace, majority of outlets not grounded.

- Remove Wood Burning Stove? and patch on the ceiling (HVAC Re-route)

- Master Bathroom( plumbing - shower stall not properly installed and leak going down to crawl space, cabinet not secured to the wall, GFCI not grounded, faucet aerator leaking)

- Kitchen (damaged vinyl, exhaust not working, very dated kitchen but I think I can salvaged the cabinets and just replace the tile countertops)

- Ceiling fans are not operable and missing HVAC registers.

- Garage (moisture stains, wall damaged, laundry hose bib leaking), partially converted to a room. I did some research and all permit filed/completed.

- Complete yard makeover

I do feel my initial rehab budget is way low based on the items above and reaching out to BP members for advise.

Thanks.

Leo, I think most of these issues are self explanatory, replace the shower, fix the exhaust fan in the kitchen and replace vinyl, etc. The non-grounded outlets are more of a problem. Do you know if there is a ground wire available in the wiring? If there is no ground wire that will be expensive and may require rewiring the whole house. If a ground wire is available then the fix is simple.

@James Birdsall

Got it. Not sure if ground wire is available but I will have it inspected more thoroughly. What do you think I can do with below wood burning fireplace. I am looking at removing it per recommendation by inspector but no idea about the cost. Thanks again James.

Hi Leo, as far as the ground wire is concerned, just pull one of the non grounded receptacle plates off and loosen the receptacal enough to see behind it (Cut the breaker first unless you like to challenge the gods like me) and see if the wire going to the back of it has a bright copper bare wire. That would be a ground. There is a possibility it is just not connected or loose.

For the wood stove, I think all you have to do is disconnect it and drag it out. Then take down the flue pipe and patch the ceiling wallboard. You might check on the roof if the flue is watertight. If you have to remove the flue from the roof, that will take a roofer to carry that out.

@James Birdsall Thanks for the tip. I have zero experience in construction and just keep on furthering my education to get at least the basics to become succesfull on REI. I will have the roofer assist if the flue needs to go as well. Appreciate again your help and will post the project results including pics.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you