17 year old looking for investing advice

1 Reply

I'm 17 years old.  I know that I want to have real estate assets as soon as possible.  I want to have as little debt as possible while going through college, and I want that to be due to investing.  I believe that my problem now is that I have no credit.  Pretty sure I have to be at least 18 to apply for a credit card.  So I'm just here asking for advice on how to get started as quickly as possible, in the best, most secure way possible.

Hi Hunter,

A few (10) years ago I faced the same problem. I had a checking account so I started with a signature loan through that institution for $500 over six months. I put that into savings, and then paid the loan back out of savings with an automatic payment. Once that was paid off, I waited a few months and took out a 4k loan over a year I think. Signature loan as well. Just doing those two small loans established credit for me and got the ball rolling. I was approved for my first home loan TODAY, and my credit scores played a large roll in that approval. Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.