Advice on LLC and partnership

2 Replies

Well today I stumbled across this wonderful website and had to sign up as soon as possible! I spent quite some time reading old posts in regards to my question, but I still need some advice specific to my situation.

Well me and one of my accomplices have been talking for a while now, and finally decided to get into real estate. We are always talking about business so we do have a good relationship and are able to separate social life from our future business life.

With some research and talking to a few connections that I do have back home decided to start an LLC. After doing a lot of reading I am confused on when and if we should even start an LLC. Our plan was to create the LLC and have a detailed operating agreement before even looking to purchase any property. Is this wrong?

I also find conflicting information on weather or not a multifamily home can be under an LLC. A few people said yes, and a few people said no due being less then a 4 unit. Can someone explain to me weather or not it is possible? I noticed you can transfer later with a deed, but you run the risk of "Due at sale clause".

Even a single family house can be under an LLC.

What do you mean transfer later with a deed? Transfer the title and ownership with a deed of trust?  There is a St. Germain Depository Institutions Regulation Act that might be applicable to what you are doing: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-12-05/news...

I would like a clearer idea of what you're asking however, so you and a partner will form a partnership LLC, and take out a loan from a bank? or other lender? then buy a property? Do you plan to wholesale or rehab?

David,

Yes i mean transfer title and ownership with a deed of trust. I have to look more into it, but i was reading someones post talking about a quit claim deed. 

Our plan is to purchase a multi-family home together and hold it for several years while renting it out to tenants. 

I was asking really if it was possible to purchase a property under the LLC to begin with instead of transferring later. With some research later i heard it was close to impossible especially being our first property and a new LLC. Is this true?

My other question was about if it was a bad idea to create an LLC months before actually purchasing a property. The reason behind this is because i am actually overseas. The idea behind this was to have everything set up so in 6 months when i come home we are ready to start looking into properties.

Thanks for the reply i hope to hear more from you and possibly others. I apologize if i was unclear. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here