Divorced dad needs ideas

4 Replies

Hey guys and gals! Quick question for you ...

I'm recently divorced and living with my sister while I save money for new place. My good credit is still intact, and I figure I could get a loan up to $250K. My brother-in-law has some great building skills (he built their house) and lots of extra time on his hands. The housing market where we live is booming. I've got the credit line, he's got the skills, what's the easiest way to make some extra cash? Thanks for the input!

@Joel Daugherty

I probably wouldn't partner on a property.  I personally would stick with rentals.

I would start looking for a new potential spouse.  Two heads are better than one.  I contribute my momentum to the spouse I have.

Frank

@Frank R.

Seriously, your best advice is ¨Go get married again¨??? That seems pretty silly to me, and certainly doesn´t answer the question. I don´t discount the value of a spouse, and my wife is my best teammate, but that´s hardly a prerequisite to REI.

@Joel

Sounds like you have the makings of a good team. You didn´t mention your background at all, but if it´s new to you, I´d start educating yourself on RE investment and flipping. There´s a ton of resources here on BiggerPockets - blogs, books, forum posts, etc, everything you need to get started. Without knowing your market (and what $250k can get you), my move would be to look into distressed multi-family properties; you and your brother-in-law can partner for the equity share and he can bring in the experience to renovate, and it gives you a place to live and manage.

Personally I would find the best-quality three or four unit I could find.  As an owner-occupant of a building with 4 or fewer units, you will be eligible for pretty much all of the standard residential mortgage programs.  

Find a four unit, with one unit for you that has an extra bedroom for your kid(s), and put a relatively small amount down.  Then look around for what to do with the rest of your funds.

For quick cash (at your highest marginal tax rate, of course) it sounds like you may have a foundation for a fix and flip. Leave nothing to chance and put any and all agreements with your bro-in-law in writing. Have clear expectations. Consult experienced counsel on how best to structure. A couple ideas are buy as tenants in common with a JV agreement, or form a partnership/LLC. You could also be the lender for his property. Seek competent legal and tax advice! Good luck @Joel Daugherty !

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you