Does Anyone Know How To Find Absentee Owners

16 Replies

Do you have a title rep on your team? You will find they are very resourceful and likely have the ability to assist you in finding absentee owners. 

If you don't have a title rep on your team, commit to reaching out a few by the end of the day and schedule meetings with them. You might be surprised at what all they can do for you.

You can go the county appraiser or assessor office and look up who owns the property and where they send the tax bill. If you want to actually speak with the owner then you will have to go a step further by "googling" or subscribe to a search site like Intellius.

I agree with Jennifer above: tax assessor's website lists property owner's name and address, usually via an interactive parcel map search or by giving an address.

Title reps are great team members, but this is just basic info search and not worth bothering them about.

@Timothy Daniels   @Lizina Green   @Jennifer Zambo @Nick J. 

Is the tax assessor and tax collector the same thing? I've been looking at the tax collector's website trying to analyze the info they provide for tax delinquent leads as well as the absentee owners but I'm not really finding what I need. There's also the possibility that I can't tell the difference between gold and garbage and overlooked the info that I actually needed.

I don't yet have a title company as I just moved down here to Tampa so it's on my to-do list.

I suppose every county calls their tax assessor/collector by a different name.

Mine, which is a small county, has an exhaustive website that even includes legal notices and tax lien information.

I don't know Tampa, but that's where I'd start.

I think in CA, the Assessor's Office can't provide Owner's information online due to CA GOV CODE §6254.21; you have to make the request (pay) for the info in person at the Assessor's office.  In Alameda County, they do have a Parcel Map viewer, that will list a mailing address for a property, which you could then try to scour the internet for info.

Of course you can do this, but keep in mind that a lot of this is labor spend that you could spend doing something else. Like working on your marketing.  it's not too expensive to buy a few names to start (50, 100, 200). Not sure how few absentee owners you can get on a list, but I remember buying a list of a 100 people from listsource a while ago.

I would agree with @Kweku Ako-adjei

You can use the local tax & county websites to track down absentee names, but it´s very labor intensive. Purchasing a list of absentee owners on listsource.com (using additional filters for property type, age, equity percentage, location, market value and ownership entity) is very reasonable. 

For example, I recently purchased a list of 1230 prospects in Pasco County for $800 with the above filters. It would have taken a lot more than $800 worth of my time to create that using free local resources. 

Originally posted by @Colin Murphy:

I would agree with @Kweku Ako-adjei

You can use the local tax & county websites to track down absentee names, but it´s very labor intensive. Purchasing a list of absentee owners on listsource.com (using additional filters for property type, age, equity percentage, location, market value and ownership entity) is very reasonable. 

For example, I recently purchased a list of 1230 prospects in Pasco County for $800 with the above filters. It would have taken a lot more than $800 worth of my time to create that using free local resources. 

Out of 1230 how many of those turned into good leads and how many turned into a deal? I feel like I spend a lot for the lists then even more just to send them out with no ROI

In a case like this, the county is your friend. You could make your own OO list - get the data from the county and compare the situs address vs the owner/taxpayer address field.

The brokers charge a lot for data, so much so that it's really not an option for beginning investors. Where do the brokers get their data from? The county. The assessor's office, usually. And the original datasets from the assessors office are often far richer than what a broker might sell you.

I usually download the assessor's roll or a shapefile and load it into filemaker and do a calc on the two fields. Then I make an OO tag for those records.

Keep us posted on your search!

Hi @David Battle

Have only mailed that list twice so far, and will hit it at least another 3-4 times (once per month). Leads tend to be much stronger towards the end rather than beginning of cycle. 

Have probably received 10-12 strong leads from it and we have secured one property, which we are currently renovating and hope to flip for a nice profit next month. 

not familiar with Tampa, but provide the county/town here and someone will probably be able to tell you if they have a free govt or other private website that will show that information.....just don't list the actual street address.

@David Battle maybe you gotta change the actual mailers and redesign your letters, envelopes.  I'm just getting started and I'm doing experiments where on a mailing I'm doing half postcards, half letters, half handwritten envelopes, half printed. Stuff like that to measure what is successful and not. Easier at the beginning since you're not too heavily invested in one format.  Keep trying it! It'll hit at some point.