Where do I start? Associates? Bachelors? Certifications? Or trial and error?

9 Replies

My question is more vague, due to not knowing particularly where to begin. Where do I start? Simply put, im new. Im debating on degree after degree, or wether to extend my knowledge with certifications. I want to buy, sell, invest, and manage residential and commercial real estate, but the idea of jumping into a degree not knowing exactly where it will lead me can seem daunting at times. Im looking for suggestions on good openers to this career field. I love the idea of real estate and the oppurtunities it presents, but I'm a little hesitant on how to begin.

I have two bachelors and a masters degree... Want them? Anyways... Follow ,your heart and gut but in my opinion, figure out your goals. What do you want. Most of the time, I think getting my education was a waste when I could have been put there learning real estate on my own.

I just graduated with two Bachelor degrees. I have A LOT of student debt, that being said, I make a lot of money and how my job is set up I can save money to use towards REI. Will I be using my degrees in 5 years? Probably. 10 years? Who knows. I know many investors on here are going to tell you having a good W-2 job will allow you get financing a lot easier when just starting out investing. Banks like to see that you are established and have steady income coming in. Some people will tell you that you can do it without a steady job or a degree it may just be harder to start out. I view my degrees as a means to an end and a back fall if times ever get tough if I try to open my own business or go full-time into real estate (I am just getting started, don't think I'm trying to act like I know it all). If you are positive you want to go into real estate align yourself with mentors and maybe pursue your real estate license or a related field that you can learn about REI. My only advice is don't go to college just to go to college like a lot of people do in our generation. Go for a field you LOVE or at least one you like, but that is highly desired and pays well. That way you can use the income to pursue other goals. Good luck to you. If your anything like me you will change your mind 100 times, but if you want to be "successful" you will ultimately find your own path to whatever you define success as.

Business. Depending on the school, a bachelor's in business will give you a good understanding of how money works from micro to macro. That will serve you well in real estate or any other business you might enter.

Read Tomas Sowell's Basic Economics. Everyone should, regardless of their profession.

Eddie

Originally posted by @Robert King :

My question is more vague, due to not knowing particularly where to begin. Where do I start? Simply put, im new. Im debating on degree after degree, or wether to extend my knowledge with certifications. I want to buy, sell, invest, and manage residential and commercial real estate, but the idea of jumping into a degree not knowing exactly where it will lead me can seem daunting at times. Im looking for suggestions on good openers to this career field. I love the idea of real estate and the oppurtunities it presents, but I'm a little hesitant on how to begin.

I personally believe that if I was to go back and do everything over again, I would study sales, marketing, and business. I always knew that I wanted to own my own business, but instead of going with my gut, I played it safe and studied something that at it's best would leave me a decently paid employee for my entire life.

Don't get me wrong, I am a strong believer in trial and error, however I have always believed that a good education can give you certain advantages. 

402-965-1853

Thanks for the post! I appreciate the feedback!

@Robert King

I just checked your profile after I replied and see that you are military. Thank you for your service! You should check out http://www.reluctantlandlord.net/ or search for Elizabeth Colegrove on the forums here. She invests in buy and hold properties using VA loans or least got started that way. Her husband is in the Navy. However, she also worked or still does to help continue to invest in properties. If someone can tag her please do so because it will not let me. I listened to her Bigger Pockets podcast a couple days ago. I see her helping others out a lot on the forums. Once again good luck.

Awesome! Thank you sir. Will take a look for my self!

Self education & networking is key and will save you a lot of time and money.  I am military, have my bachelors & master's.  Do my degrees help yes but all that time spent getting them I could have learned hands on and experienced much more.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.