Should I convert a garage into extra living space

5 Replies

Hello! I am working on my first flip in the Houston area and I am wondering if I should convert a garage into extra living space. I bought a small 3 bedroom and 1 bath home at a good price, but unfortunately the house feels small. It is 1,000 sq. feet and the layout seems very enclosed. I am opening up a wall and making the kitchen bigger and doing other minor repairs needed. It has a 600 sq. foot detached garage that looks like it is attached to the house from the front, but it has a separate door in the back of the house that is not connected to main house. I am wondering if I should repair it and leave it as a garage (drywall and add new garage door) or if I should make it into an extra family room that will include a utility closet and a full bath. Converting it into an extra family room will add 600 sq. feet of extra livable space and an extra full bath. The houses in the neighborhood vary. Some have garages and some don't and some are rather small (starting at 750 sq. feet) sand homes can go up to 2,500 sq feet. Please help any advice will be appreciated!!

Denisse

Leave that sucker detached and a garage. It typically looks cheap/people can tell. 

One of our rentals had the garage turned into living space and I hate it.

Medium head icon colorRyan Dossey, Call Porter | http://Callporter.com

Don't do it, as your first flip don't go over board. Get in and get out! I made this mistake last year converting garage into extra room. Ran into all kinds of issues with drainage, electrical, moving the washer and dryer to new location, on and on.

People in my area do this all the time ( to attached garages) and I HATE IT. If I want to bid on a house, I have to factor in converting it back to a garage, because that's what home buyers in my area want.

If you're going to live in it, do whatever you want, for flips:

do what THAT market demands

I wouldn't do it. save your money or put it elsewhere and just spruce up the garage a bit. Paint the walls and floors. paint is cheap.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you