Build portfolio from one property?

3 Replies

Hello! I am a new investor in Austin, Texas, with an occupied condo in California. I currently work as a field sales rep and would like to keep my personal income separate from the income I make on my rental. My condo is currently worth $300k (I bought it for $200k two years ago and now owe $132k). It rents for $1600/mo with $1370/mo expenses, profiting $230/mo.

How do I start from here to build a portfolio of properties? How can I leverage the condo as a separate enterprise to invest in more real estate? Should I take an equity line and reinvest that way?

Thank you!

JD

Sounds like you're off to a great start.

You can pledge the equity in your condo as collateral for your next property. 

Or, you could use that equity to secure a line of credit, and use cash from the line to make offers to motivated sellers.

You might go hunting for a deal and see if you can get an offer accepted with a 30 day financing contingency. Then use that time to determine the best way to finance the deal. If you have equity in a property and a good banker, there are a number of ways the deal could work.

HI JD, 

TAKE AN EQUITY LINE AND JONATHAN SUGGESTION IS GOOD TOO THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS THAT NEXT PURCHASE IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GOOD RATE TO KEEP PYMTS DOWN THE CONVENTIONAL LENDER WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO BORROW MONEY TO PURCHASE ANOTHER HOUSE AND EXPECT A GOOD RATE. IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR RATE THEN I KNOW WE CAN DO  AS A SUBPRIME OR HARD MONEY. 

WE DO THIS TO SOME OF OUR INVESTOR WE HANDLE THEIR REAL ESTATE AND THEIR MORTGAGE LOANS AND TO THE NEW INVESTMENT. ONE STOP SHOP

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you