Why Birmingham? ....why not?

4 Replies

So I recently purchased a turnkey property in Birmingham and everyone asks me "Why Birmingham". I am still a beginner so the first thing that attracted me to Birmingham was the recommendation from more experienced investors. Next was the price to rent ratios. With limited funds for down payments we liked the lower purchase prices compared to other markets. Birmingham allows us to get more homes for our money and ultimately get the best cash flow. We also were told that it is a low key market among investors however it seems to be increasing popularity. Seems like we had more to choose from there compared to others. We also wanted to diversify geologically and having our foot in Indianapolis already we thought it would be good to get into a market in the South. Lastly we found great people to work with that had a product we were happy with. The negatives I heard are poor population growth, low job growth, and a questionable economy. For us it still made sense. I curious to hear others opinions on this Market. Thanks everyone!

@Joey Noel

Joey, how are things going in the B'ham ? Is the ownership working out for you? I have watched the area from afar for a while. Let us know your impression now that you have a few months in.

@Tony Gunter

The home I got back in July has been performing fine.  No real issues so far.  It took a little longer to get a tenant then expected but once tenant was in place things have been great.  Rent is $850 so can't complain there, and there has been no repairs yet so I'm happy in that department too.  Tenant was late on the rent once but paid the late fee and has been on time or close to it ever since.  The management side of things have been fine as well.  I just purchased another 2 out there, and I am still waiting for tenants.  I'm hoping its related to the bad time of year for tenant placement, So hopefully someone moves in soon.  The process with these latest 2 was great using Century Revitalization Group to buy and rehab the property and then Decas group is managing them and currently trying to place tenants for me.  Still to early for me to jump into this market head first but I am still confident in my investments so far.    

@Joey Noel

I wondered about the lag time on getting a place rented there. I noticed on Rent Jungle that there appears to be many places to choose from. It appears supply of available rental homes is not short in B'ham. Same impression from Pad Mapper too.

@Tony Gunter  it's definitely a small concern for me.  There are tons of rentals...but there are tons of renters too.  A couple months vacant seems like the norm for this time of year from what I can tell and have been told.  I had one in Indy that took almost 2 months to rent too.  But on the other hand another couple I know who bought in Bham also had to wait a few months to find tenants.  It's not a deal breaker for me but just something I may start calculating into my numbers.  Have to include some holding costs and stuff like that.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you