what to do with 200K

7 Replies

I am about to sell my bar property and will net 200K after smoke clears. What is the wisest thing to do with it? I want to invest in another property but can't decide on what. I have done flips and am 2W-2L(broke even) on making money on them. I have two SFR that are rented out but not cashflowing much. I have two commercial properties but the building type is a bar and they are a sunset business now in oregon. I was thinking of multi family but not sure. all comments appreciated!!

Hey Henry! I would recommend narrowing your focus based on a couple of things.  First, I would look inward and see what your goals really are; do you want to generate a working income in a flip business? Do you want to zero in on producing passive income as a landlord and ramp up what you already have? Is commercial a lucrative and fulfilling option for you?  Its seems like you have dabbled in quite a bit, so really tapping into what you are passionate about will probably provide insight for yourself to find what options are available moving forward.

Second, and complimentary to this, check out what your local market is doing (if that is the area you want to work in).  You alluded to a sunset market on the bar business, so knowing that, where can you get your money to work for you? Is it in line with that passion you found in reflecting your goals?  If you can't find it in your city, is what you want to do available in your state? If not, where at? 

The decision is ultimately up to you, and I won't pretend to know Oregon's market and tell you specifically where to put your money (maybe someone who knows that marketplace can jump in and help with that!).  What I can tell you and do know is that people who do what they are passionate about and then take that and go on to educate and act on it are the most successful kinds of people, so I hope in that way I was helpful!

Hi Henry! I have to second what Brandon said. Identify your goals and definitely your why. The vehicle you use is going to be dependent on where you want to go and how fast you want to get there. 

I would first investigate the best way to defer my tax hit if there is one.  If you are going to re-invest anyway, I would educate myself about 1031 exchanges.  They  have pretty strict limits on how much time you have to identify a new property and close on it, so it may play into when you decide to close on your current one.  Good luck and congrats @Henry Liu !

@Henry Liu , You'll have three categories of allocations on your sale 1. Land/building 2. FF&E, and 3.  Good will.  You can do a 1031 exchange on the allocation for land/building and purchase any type of investment real estate and defer all tax on that part of the allocation.  You may also exchange the FF&E for similar equipment if you're wanting to stay in the bar/restaurant business.  The good will you will pay tax on.

So as you work with your acct and the buyers you will want to see a valuation that shows the greatest allocation to land/building if you want to get the maximum benefit out of a 1031 exchange.

You could definitely buy a few multi families with that and do very well, IF you know how to analyze the numbers. You could act as a lender, or you could do flips. Depends what you want, but personally I would buy a few multi families, triplexes and fourplexes.

Thank you all for the great advice. I am sorry to get back late.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you