Brand New to BP in DFW

8 Replies

My husband and I have been listening to BP podcast's for a year or two but are finally get involved on the website (forums, blogs, etc.). Within the next month we will be ready to start buying & holding in the DFW area. We need all of the advice we can get and are ready to learn how to do this. What are some things ya'll have learned or wish you had known before jumping into your first property? Looking forward to connecting with the BP community!

@Kelli Voorhis

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members. This is one of my favorite features of Bigger Pockets especially for asking specific questions.

Welcome Kelli (and your husband too)!

You'll find that there is a VERY lively DFW contingent here on BP...

Hi @Kelli Voorhis

I'm one of the members from the DFW area. My focus is Collin County and Northern Dallas County (Richardson, Garland, etc.).

Two things:

1 - Have you looked at the articles and resources under the "Learn" tab above? There are lots of good ideas there.

2 - Have you explored the local REIAs? I particularly like the North Texas Association of Real Estate Investors (www.ntarei.com). There are many others that can be found through a web search or on Meetup.com.These are a good place to meet other local investors and vendors.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the BP. When I first started, I wish I knew to to screen tenant and creating a lease agreement. 

Welcome To you and your husband! I have found a wealth of information in my short tenure on BP! Continue to be a sponge as it sounds like you have through listening to podcasts for a year! Why did you all wait a year, if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!

Thank you everyone for the tips and what to look more into.  Lance, the reason we have waited is because we have been saving up money. Also, my husband works a commission job so he needed two years under his belt before we could get a loan in his name. Scott, thanks for that website!

Welcome to the BP family..! DFW markets are extremely hot right now. There are a lot of good deals to be found. 

972-824-5273

Originally posted by @Chase Mackey :

Welcome to the BP family..! DFW markets are extremely hot right now. There are a lot of good deals to be found. 

972-824-5273

I suspect you meant "There are NOT a lot of good deals to be found"?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.