Best to save?

4 Replies

So basically I've been researching the topic of starting in real estate for about six months, that's how I found BP. I've read book after book, blog after blog. When it comes to starting out in real estate there are several options. Because I originally planned to work hard all of my life until I was sixty I placed all of my assets into a 401k. Not much in there currently, especially after it took a big hit during this previous stock market blunder. 

So here is my question. I've researched enough to find Hard money lenders who only require a 10% dp versus the traditional 20% for conventional. Now the interest rates are obviously like day and night with conventional loans being much lower. So do I jump into the REI game with a hard money lender at 10% dp or wait and save the 20% dp for a conventional loan?

Hi Dustin,

Research is the way we all started.  Increase your knowledge as much as you can and later you'll be able to turn that knowledge into application.

Good question, but there are a lot of variables here. How much is the asking price of the property you have in mind? Will the additional 10% be difficult to acquire? My last deal I put 20% down to avoid the PMI and have a higher cash flow. I'm in escrow now for a property and also putting 20% down. The 20% down does help a lot and banks love it. But if the numbers work with the 10% down then that's all that matters. As long as the numbers work in your favor, it's a good deal.

Stay away from the HMLers until you get a better handle on what they do, who they are, and how to (most important how NOT to) use them. HML isn't a loan...it's an expense that can ruin a project if you are not on top of it time wise.

HML's are fantastic when you learn how to use them.

@Dustin Neal ,

In continuing your research, you'll also want to explore private money lenders: people like you who have retirement accounts they need to recover after the crash.

Also, study up on self-directed retirement accounts.

Just some other options to explore...

@Dustin Neal

If you are looking to diversify your retirement funds in investments other than equities, look into investing your retirement funds in real estate. A lot of individuals are not aware that a retirement account can also be invested in real estate. See the following link:

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Pla...

Medium mysolo 401k logoMark Nolan, My Solo 401k Financial | [email protected] | 800‑489‑7571 | https://www.mysolo401k.net/

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you