San Antonio, Bexar County Market Projections

8 Replies

Hi everyone!

My name is Richard and I'm working in San Antonio, TX. Are there are any investors in the area who would care to contribute to this thread and offer their opinion on the current state of the San Antonio market and where it is headed in the future? Are there any trends you see exploding or falling out of style over the 5, 10, 15 years? Also, are there any developments going on in the city that you think will have a long term positive impact on the real estate market?  

Richard,

Congrats on getting started. IMHO your best bet is to to get a feel for the market yourself. No matter what someone tells you about a specific market or submarket, your experience in dealing with that market may be drastically different. If you're just getting started and want to get involved in the market, heres what I would recommend.

1. Set a keyword alert for San Antonio here on BP.

2. Learn everything you can. Read every book, listen to the BP podcasts (all of them), research related publications, etc. This is an ongoing process. You obviously don't have to read every book on real estate to get started, you just have to learn enough to be able to speak real estate. DO NOT spend money on expensive "guru" courses. There are plenty of free resources, i.e. bigger pockets. Regardless of what profession you choose, if you are good at it, you will always be learning.

3. Get involved in the local REIA. @Chad Clanton has a great monthly meet up (free of charge and pitch free) on the first Tuesday of every month (currently I think its the first Wednesday until further notice), but you can find it on BP. Its a great place to learn from people who have already been doing this for a long time. Networking is EVERYTHING!

I could list a lot more things that you could do, but I think these are the most important. Plus, once you do these things, you will probably have a good idea of what you need to do next. Good luck!

Cheers,
AC

I will say this, over the long run San Antonio will likely remain a strong and effective long term market. It should experience continual growth and appreciation. It is in very good shape compared to many cities around the country. :)

San Antonio didn't set the world on fire during the boom and consequently wasn't hurt as much as other markets.  Rather we have experienced steady growth and thus remained a good market.  Home prices continue to rise creating a challenge for first time home buyers.  Lots of investors have come into the market for flips and rentals.  It has become harder to find deals so it takes diligence and patience.  Gentrification of older neighborhoods near and around downtown has pushed property values up very quickly.  No secrets any more.  

@Angel Cepeda Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've already started doing the first two. I've found the keyword alerts to be an awesome tool for staying up to date on local conversations. I've also been absorbing everything I can relative to real estate to build my knowledge base and determine my course of action for this industry. As far as getting involved in local groups, I'm already a member of both of Chad Clanton's Meetup groups. They seem like a great place to learn and network in a casual environment. Do you have any other recommendations for local real estate investor groups?

@Gonz Trevino That was my conclusion as well Gonz. But I haven't heard nearly as much about San Antonio as I have other cities in Texas. Everything I've seen from exploring the city seems to point towards steady growth and development. It seems like it's almost impossible to travel a few miles in any direction and not run into some type of construction. 

Right now I'm working to get familiar with the market, then determine my investing strategy. The first skills I want to develop before obtaining my license are learning how to locate and analyze properties for investment potential, and negotiating with home owners. I'm really interested in the subject gentrification mentioned by @Donald Fetzer . It seems like this type of situation could create a lot of great opportunities. Thanks for spilling the beans! :)

I'd say keep an eye on city planners. The "big money" idea is to get more multi-fam going downtown. Once that core infrastructure is built then there will be a move towards construction of everything else that supports downtown living.  There are also recent, large, property acquisitions at 281/1604, and 10/1604 (NW side). Those are the areas of immediate activity.

Downtown HEB opening soon...Dec 2 (S. Flores @ C. Chavez). Will be much easier for the hipsters to ride their Vespa's to buy Pabst Blue Ribbon now (I joke!). There were a few other g-stores around, but none really downtown. So keeping an eye on the area around that HEB...not a secret. Also look at the new apartments on N. Main near the SAC campus.