Direct Mail to absentee owners

11 Replies

Hello everyone.  I have started my first marketing campaign and I've targeted absentee owners.  My response rate (about 15%) hasn't been too bad, but the quality of the leads have been a little discouraging.  Most calls are not even a possibility, a few were worth looking into but nothing came from it.  Is absentee owners a good way to go or should I target another criteria?  Or is it just a matter of patience and I just have to deal with several "no's" before I find that one "yes"?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Absentees are generally the best group to target, but it has a lot to do with the MESSAGE you are sending as well.  For example, you might do better with a professional postcard to absentees, rather than a "My wife and I want to $BUY$ you house" yellow letter.

Absentees are generally landlords and people who inherited houses.  Look at your messaging and ask if those groups would respond to the message.

Last thing I'll say is - you need to mail to absentees with EQUITY.  If they have no equity, they will not be able to sell their house to you at a discount.

I agree with Dev, the quality of your message is a big part of the equation. You also want to make sure there is equity, at the minimum we look for %50 or more equity. You will however receive far more No's than Yes phone calls in response to your mailers. Stick with it and you will get some deals.

I have been writing my letters by hand to cut down cost, but sacrificing volume at the same time because working full time and balancing family life doesn't leave as much time as I wish.  I have been using a very generic message so I will take a look at postcards to see if it is feasible.  Thanks for the help, advice, and encouragement.  Now that I know that I'm on the right path I just have to be patient and keep moving forward.  Thank you everyone!

Originally posted by @James Harris :

Hello everyone.  I have started my first marketing campaign and I've targeted absentee owners.  My response rate (about 15%) hasn't been too bad, but the quality of the leads have been a little discouraging.  Most calls are not even a possibility, a few were worth looking into but nothing came from it.  Is absentee owners a good way to go or should I target another criteria?  Or is it just a matter of patience and I just have to deal with several "no's" before I find that one "yes"?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

May I ask what the specific criteria is that's making most of these responses not a possibility?

In my experience the most important aspect is to get the response.  Then figuring out if the problem is worth my time to solve.  

If you are hand writing and keeping your letters to a minimum then you should be getting the most bang for your buck.

Instead of absentee owners go for absentee owners who have owned their property for more than 20 years.  How about absentee owners free and clear? 

This way, you can narrow down your send out criteria to maximize your return vs response.

Hope this helps

As already said 15% for any type of direct mail is fantastic. However most responses to any mail campaign will be useless. It might take 50 to 100 responses to get a deal but that one deal can make it all worthwhile. 

Originally posted by @James Harris :

I have been writing my letters by hand to cut down cost, but sacrificing volume at the same time because working full time and balancing family life doesn't leave as much time as I wish.  I have been using a very generic message so I will take a look at postcards to see if it is feasible.  Thanks for the help, advice, and encouragement.  Now that I know that I'm on the right path I just have to be patient and keep moving forward.  Thank you everyone!

WOW...15%. On the last mailer I did I got 0%...no calls whatsoever. I'm a newbie, so I'm sure I did something wrong. 

But one thing I learned that has stuck with me....ALL PHONE CALLS GET A WRITTEN OFFER! Even if they aren't motivated, send them an offer anyway. From what I hear, you never know! Someone may take you seriously, and take the offer you send. Worst case, they decline or not respond. Then you move on.

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

As already said 15% for any type of direct mail is fantastic. However most responses to any mail campaign will be useless. It might take 50 to 100 responses to get a deal but that one deal can make it all worthwhile. 

From my experience if you are doing well you should get a deal out of every 25 calls.