Help! Dilemma on my first property

Help! Dilemma on my first property

Multifamily Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 14 votes

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little guidance on how to approach my first deal...

The property is my part of town, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. The property is listed for $35,000 but considering the work that needs to be done on it, my agent and I are confident that we can get it for around $24,500. ARV seems to be in the range of $55,000-65,000 (its been hard pulling decent comps for fixed up homes for this property). It's likely going to need a new roof and HVAC...those are the more expensive repairs. Other than that, the cosmetic work needed consists of new floors to replace the carpet, new walls, restroom, and kitchen appliances. My uncle can do a lot of the cosmetic work, so that will save some money on repairs.

That said, my initial plan was to wholesale it to another investor if the deal was in fact a good one.  Now, however, after reading a lot on BP and also The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No and Low Money Down, I realize that there may be other options that could work out better for me.  

I am currently living at home (my parents' home) and have never owned a home myself.  I can't help but to consider this to be an opportunity to do so, and get started with investing at the same time. I don't think traditional financing is an option for me considering my credit history.  But, after reading and learning, I thought that maybe seller financing could be a solution, or maybe even a lease option.  However, from what I gathered in my readings, seller financing and lease options were executed when the investor will be using the property for rental income.  In my case, I will want to live in it for maybe 2 years, and THEN rent it out.  

My question is, is this a viable way of going about my first real estate deal? Are there better or more creative ways to make it happen?   I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read this and any help you can give!

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y

@Nate Ollie

is it free and clear of mortgages? If there's a mortgage what's the balance due, what's the payments, is it fixed or arm, is it govt, conventional or private?

Once you know what kind of existing financing you look at a purchase offer, maybe subject to, rough, but it needs work never do a lease option

Think about doing a joint venture with the seller, it is also called the cooperative rehab , using private lender money to fix it, giving a note for their equity, buying it and getting on title, fixing it and resell ing it, then you would pay the equity to the seller

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Nate Ollie

    is it free and clear of mortgages? If there's a mortgage what's the balance due, what's the payments, is it fixed or arm, is it govt, conventional or private?

    Once you know what kind of existing financing you look at a purchase offer, maybe subject to, rough, but it needs work never do a lease option

    Think about doing a joint venture with the seller, it is also called the cooperative rehab , using private lender money to fix it, giving a note for their equity, buying it and getting on title, fixing it and resell ing it, then you would pay the equity to the seller

    Good luck!

  • Multifamily Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @Brian Gibbons thanks for the advice Brian! I understand most of what you said...however could you clarify what you mean when you say "giving a note for their equity, buying it and getting on title"? I don't completely follow...How would that work? 

  • Real estate consignment; Virtual REO wholesales · Vancouver, Vancouver, BC · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Great advice Brian. And I agree...If your seller is motivated, there are no liens on the property and the mortgage payments insurance and property taxes are manageable for you then a lease option or subject to deal could work. If they own the property outright, don't need the cash up front and can do owner financing even better. Even if they do have a mortgage on it depending on what the property could rent for you still may be able to work out a sandwich lease option if you have established a good rapport with the sellers and the circumstances are right.   

    Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons:

    @Nate Ollie

    is it free and clear of mortgages? If there's a mortgage what's the balance due, what's the payments, is it fixed or arm, is it govt, conventional or private?

    Once you know what kind of existing financing you look at a purchase offer, maybe subject to, rough, but it needs work never do a lease option

    Think about doing a joint venture with the seller, it is also called the cooperative rehab , using private lender money to fix it, giving a note for their equity, buying it and getting on title, fixing it and resell ing it, then you would pay the equity to the seller

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nate Ollie:

    @Brian Gibbons thanks for the advice Brian! I understand most of what you said...however could you clarify what you mean when you say "giving a note for their equity, buying it and getting on title"? I don't completely follow...How would that work? 

     If there is no liens, create private first mortgage for equity

    If there is a first Morgtage offer a sub2 plus a 2nd mortgage for equity

    Here is an example

    200k needs 10k in work no loans

    Compare

    70 percent X ARV 200k less repairs 10k = 130k offer

    Vs

    200K

    - 20k costs to sell (commissions, closing costs) 

    - 10k repairs

    - 10k JV fee

    ------------------

    $150k note to seller

    Buy it private first mortgage, no payment 4 months, fix it, list it, resell it

    At closing pay off note to seller, payoff note for rehab, pay off note to you the REI for 10k

    Usually the seller make more with the JV than wholesaling offer on a light rehab deal

  • Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 157 votes
    10y

    @Brian Gibbons is right on the money here - and greatly detailed advice, as well. Thanks for the very clear educational material, Brian!

  • Multifamily Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    thanks so much @Brian Gibbons for clarifying that for me! Very detailed indeed. 

    @Anita Fofie I appreciate your feedback as well!

  • Multifamily Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Hey @Brian Gibbons would the JV work if I actually wanted to live in the house for a couple years? Or would I need to fix it up and sell it pretty quickly before payments to the seller are due?

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Nate Ollie

    I coach folks one on one in real estate investing and I really want people to:

    Pay of all your credit card debt

    Pay of all your student loans

    Do joint ventures and lease option assignments for 12 months, no banks, no credit, 

    set a goal for $100k in 12 mo

    Get your real estate sales license

    Build a team of one real estate broker, one real estate contract attorney, one CPA accountant

    Get a LLC and a sellers website (legal zoom.com and www.oncarrot.com)

    Learn how to negotiate with Sellers, offering a cash offer and one or two terms offers

    If you do all these things you will get a fast start

  • Multifamily Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    awesome @Brian Gibbons thank you. I like this approach a lot

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.