New guy. Young Good Job Low Debt Low Bills Needs advise

New guy. Young Good Job Low Debt Low Bills Needs advise

Old Orchard Beach, ME · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 1 vote

HI i am very new to the real-estate game(few weeks). I have been reading around these fourms and listening to some of the podscasts. I am seeking advise on how to take my first step. Currently i am looking at getting into multi family buy and hold and flipping in the future. I am 22 years old almost 23 and have over 2000 a month left after all my expenses every month and i still live at home. my area is popular with some c- to c+ deals but not sure if it is worth it to start one if i have the free cash flow to go for a higher end market. my mind is flowing with a ton of ideas and any help or advise anyone has would be welcomed.

Thanks and have fun!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
10y

@Garrett Hayes

Have you reached out to any other investors in your area, on bigger pockets.  You can search for them within bigger pockets can send out some friend requests.  I would also suggest seeing if there are any local real estate investment clubs in your area.  That is a great way to jump start your business. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    @Garrett Hayes

    Have you reached out to any other investors in your area, on bigger pockets.  You can search for them within bigger pockets can send out some friend requests.  I would also suggest seeing if there are any local real estate investment clubs in your area.  That is a great way to jump start your business. 

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    What's cool is by the time your 27 you'd have 48k to use as a DP and closing costs on a 200k multi plex which if you bargain a good deal you'd have around $700 a month cash flow depending on the rental market.
  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    @Garrett Hayes

    Another thought is to talk to a small local lender and see what kind of money you can borrow.  Based on your monthly expenses to your income you will get a good understanding and it will help you focus on homes within your known budget.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 288 votes
    10y

    @Garrett Hayes

    Try to buy your first rental as a multi-family owner occupant... Lower interest rates, down payments, etc.... Keep saving and living well below your means and before long you will have a ton of investment property.  I spent several summers in Kennebunkport and if I remember correctly, aren't there several areas with multi-family options around OOB/Biddeford area???

    jeff

  • Old Orchard Beach, ME · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @jeff w. I was thinking about doing a owner occupant but was thinking that I could make more and start with better cash flow using the whole building for income. I don't need to move out yet would like to in the future but keeping my future goals in mind I want the best layout i can make for myself. And yes there is many deals in the Biddeford area and am looking there writhing a 25 mile radius right now. I hear people say they found a deal on a multi family for under 80k and I can't find. Itching retail for under 110000 that looks decent. Still have to look in more areas(foreclosure and agents) just need to find the deal.

    @robert labrie I am not a pro member yet very soon tho so I can't look in my area outside of 5 miles of my location. Doing some reasearch I saw there was a REI club in my area but haven't had a meeting in 4 months still sent a email to the contact and a forum post BP. I was thinking about going to a bank or lender and seeing what kind of loan I can get how much and at what rate so I can focus on a price range and know more info so I can get a betterunderstanding on the cash flow and return on investment. But didn't know if that was a good idea because I'm not sure when I was going to buy yet and have no property to show them.

    Thanks and have fun!

    Garrett H.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.