Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Josh Anders
  • Hartselle, AL
Votes |
Are some markets just impossible to flip in? (70% Rule)

Josh Anders
  • Hartselle, AL
Posted Jul 8 2016, 15:34

Hello, first time poster long time lurker. My wife and I started getting interested in real estate in January. We started listening to the bigger pockets podcast and since Jan, I have listened to over 80 of the podcast trying to learn everything I can. We have studied our target market everyday pretty much since then. I have alerts setup to see every house posted in my market under 150k and I look at them every day. 

We have enough cash/credit to rehab and purchase most of the reasonably priced homes in our market. I am also a contractor so my main focus is fix and flip. That being said after 7 months of looking we have yet to find a property on the MLS that meets the 70% rule. Matter of fact a few weeks back I placed an offer in at 85% rule (doesn't exist I know) and they sold it to someone the next day for more. My offer was only around 8k less than asking. 

Overall most of the bank foreclosures here are listed at ARV or listed at ARV minus repairs and that leaves no room for profit but they are selling despite all of them needing lots of repairs. I don't plan on giving up anytime soon, but I honestly feel like I am wasting a lot of time and not getting anywhere. We have also spent months looking at courthouse auctions but most of them don't have enough equity. We ended up finding one house in the last 4 months with equity and went to the courthouse auction only to be bidding against 3 other investors. Needless to say they were willing to take more risk than I was.

Is my whole problem with finding deals is because I am using the MLS? Shouldn't I have at least found a few on there in 7 months? At this point I am open to all advice and tips you guys can give me.

Thanks and have a great day!

Loading replies...