Lead based paint

5 Replies

BiggerPockets Community, I need an opinion.

I am very new to real estate investing, in fact I am trying to land my first deal. I found a duplex that I am very interested in and the owner told me that since the house was built prior to 1978, lead based paint was found on the fascia. In 2008, she had the unit painted and the HUD certified. Should I be worried about lead based paint as a landlord? Is this something I need to disclose to future renters? Any advice on the issue is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

yes, you have to disclose. 

worried about lead paint is like worrying about global warming. it's there, deal with it. (here come the critics)...

Hi @Joe Ferrin ,

Due to local politics, only about one in 20 homes that I lend on do NOT have lead based paint. 

Everyone knows that you wear masks when working with sheetrock, that you instantly solve any issues of puppies or children chewing on corners, etc, and in generally everyone lives perfectly happy lives with the led based paint.

Chris Mason, Lender in CA (#1220177) and California (#1220177)
415-846-9211

Yes its alright. You do have to disclose, that's all. Also be careful and wear masks if you sand it.

In California, if there the property was built prior to a specific year or if it could contain lead based paint, you must inform the renter and provide and information sheet. A local realtor can probably tell you if similar requirements exist. Or search for apt owners' associations in your area. They may have a database of forms for members to use.

There's no specific state laws in Idaho yet about renting a home with Lead Paint other then the Federal disclosure laws, however, expect them to come in the future. The CDC has been working to identify high risk areas in Idaho http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2013/12_0273.htm

In MA it's illegal to rent to a family with a child under 7 unless you have a Lead Certificate on file with the state. There's no telling what level of legislation Idaho will adopt in the future, or when they will adopt it, but it's something to keep in mind when buying property there. 

Good luck in your investing!

Derreck Wells, Contractor in MA (#MR000910)
978-866-2020

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.