BP I NEED YOUR HELP! starting real estate in San Francisco?

15 Replies

I have been reading and learning as much as I can for the last couple years and am wanting to get into real estate. The only problem is I work/live in San Francisco and it seems too expensive too start here. Currently, I have saved a good amount of cash (over 30k) and I want to get into multifamily properties but the only properties I see possible to cash flow on are hours away. Any suggestions? Thanks!

fill up the gas tank and drive to the deals 

@Darius Hollis Yes I am from Arizona originally but buying out of state is somewhat daunting and also I would not want to put down 20% if possible. Additionally, it might be worth noting that I am in the military so I can't just up and move that easily, not sure if this helps any.

@Cameron Crosley Totally understand, investing out-of-state and site unseen can be scary, but if you can network with a great agent in a strong or emerging market, then doing deals as an absentee owner can actually turn out less stressful than going through the process alone and spending time and money chasing down deals outside of your local market. 

Welcome!
I suggest joining your local REIA & finding partners. Start networking & analyzing deals. If you find a good deal, money will find you.

Look for discussion entitled, CA investors?

Good evening, Cameron! Just curious: why the push to go out of state?  Without a doubt, there are good opportunities beyond our state's borders - @Shawn Ackerman makes an excellent point - but there are still some great opportunities in your backyard and down in Tucson. 

@Grant Greene green, Local is always the preferred option.  Please continue to encourage @Cameron Crosley as he may have overlooked an opportunity that's in his backyard. I invest out of state because as you guys know NYC requires a min of 350K to even think about jumping in to the buy and hold arena. So I really had limited options as I only had 100K start up capital. Cameron will find his way thanks to a great support system that you guys have already begun providing. Continue to move the REI culture forward!!!!!

Hello Cameron, 

If you live and work in San Francisco, then attend J Martin's meet up tomorrow in FIDI. It's a great networking event and he'll talk about investing within the Bay Area but outside of SF. 

Thursday, October 27th Meetup.

Carolina

If you can't find any properties nearby, you may need to expand out and invest further. However, you should be able to find something within one hour.

Strongly recommend the meet-ups by @J. Martin in SF. I was in the same boat as you are about 2 years ago and attending the meet-ups helped me dive into RE investing. The seasoned investors will be more than happy to help share info and knowledge.

Originally posted by @Alnie F. :

Strongly recommend the meet-ups by @J. Martin in SF. I was in the same boat as you are about 2 years ago and attending the meet-ups helped me dive into RE investing. The seasoned investors will be more than happy to help share info and knowledge.

We're meeting up at 6:30PM tonight in SF FiDi. Come out and say hi  @Cameron ! Thanks for the shout out Alnie. Hope you are doing awesome :)

@Cameron Crosley yes, the bay area is really nuts right now and it is basically impossible to find a cash flowing deal here right now. However, you might be able to find something a bit further away along the bart lines (Richmond, Pittsburg) or if you're fine driving a bit, you can look at the whole area within 30 or 60 minutes around SF. You should be able to find something there.

Also, if you are in the military, you can get a VA loan. That means 0% down - the investors dream ;-) You could get a 4-plex, live in one unit, rent out the other three and fix up the place slowly.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.