Half a deal is better than no deal, right?

2 Replies

Hello BP members! 

I am currently in Tucson, Az and I am extremely motivated to get started in REI. Is there anyone who is willing to show me the ropes? I'm currently going to school but I learn more and more every day that a "stable" job is not the path that I want to follow (Rich Dad Poor Dad motto). I need that push into REI but I cannot find the best way to because in all honesty, it's terrifying. As a college with no cash, very little knowledge in REI, and a lack of experience, it's intimidating. I have read many forums, blogs, and listened to many BP podcasts but I understand that the best way to learn is by doing. The problem is, I just do not know where to start. Please help.

@Scott Autenreith welcome and thanks for your enthusiasm and honesty. A lot of people have posted similar questions, do some digging in the forums for more suggestions.  Do you have any idea which aspect of real estate investing interests you the most?  If not, keep listening to podcasts and see what gets you excited. Also they have a lot of stories from people who started out just like you.

Find some active real estate investing groups in your area and offer any skills or time you have.  If you're willing to drive for dollars or door knock, there's probably someone who will take you up on that. Do you have project management skills? construction or design skills? Are you savvy with social media?  You might have more to offer than you think.

@Scott Autenreith I would suggest looking for a local investor that you can do an unpaid internship with. You may have limited time and experience to offer, but for an investor having someone for 10-15 hours a week that can help them and the helper gets to learn the business seems like a great win-win.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here