Hard Money in partnerships

2 Replies

I have an opportunity to partner with an established flipper. I will contribute funds for the rehab which constitute approx a third of the total investment of 300K. My investment will be 100K. I can supply 30K and want to use a HML for 70K. I figure this is an excellent way to learn the business and begin to create a rapport and trust with a HML for following flips on my own.

Question: HML expect 1st Lien on the subject property, How can I make this work in a partnership when the partner has paid cash for his 2 thirds?

any suggestions and advice ?

Hi Amra-Faye - You stated that you will "...contribute funds for the rehab" that makes you the construction loan, in essence. So make a proposal to your partners for what you want out of the deal, terms and conditions that you can live with (rate of interest, origination points, equity share %, etc.), including covering the costs to obtain the HML.

Thanks for replying Paul. I intend to do just that, However how do I sell to the partners that the HML may expect first lien on the property in the horrible scenario that we default? Is this too much to expect form the partners holding the title?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.