Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Santos
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Audubon, NJ
Votes |
First property - Live in flip

Kevin Santos
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Audubon, NJ
Posted

Hi BiggerPockets! 

My name is Kevin Santos - and I nearly can call myself an investor in the central NJ area. I'm in the process of closing on my first property, an REO townhouse 2 bed 2 bath. It's an attached attached PUD (planned unit development), so the rules with the HOA are a bit different. Has "Sandy" damage, but went in with Jay Scott's book Estimating Rehab Costs and was within 2,000 of the estimate costs I got from a contractor. We actually estimated high, but here's what I anticipate the the numbers to look like, roughly. 

Purchase Price - 170,000 

Rehab costs - 30-35,000

ARV - 260-270,000

HOA - $75 a month. Covers snow removal, lawn maintenance.

Not bad for my first one?

To get the ARV I looked at the most recent unit that sold. They are all very similar, and the unit just 2 over from the one I have under contract just sold for 250K cash a few months ago.

I plan on using an FHA 203K streamline loan to pay for the rehab (mostly first floor), and use Youtube and learn how to do some other updating myself.

I was originally looking for a multifamily for my first property, wanted to "house hack" and live free, but this was a bit of a compromise that worked for me and my girlfriend. I plan to jump right into another once this is done. 

As for my future goals, I'm not entirely sure just want. At the very least, I want to get to the point where I wouldn't have to work, if I didn't want to. However, I work full-time in sales for a travel company, and am fortunate because I am paid to travel a few times a year. My interest in real estate only began to develop in the early part of the year, and the overwhelming majority of my learning has been on BiggerPockets, which I'm very thankful to have found!

I decided for me it makes more sense to get a salesperson license as well. I'm about 2 weeks away from having an active license and this should help me going forward as well. I don't plan to shift into real estate full time - but a year ago I didn't think I'd be buying my first property, either. 

I look forward to meeting people on the site and continuing to learn. 

Kev 

REAL Broker LLC Logo

Loading replies...