Continue to live in my SFR vs Refi and 203(k) first MFR

Continue to live in my SFR vs Refi and 203(k) first MFR

Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 32 votes

I currently own a 3br/2ba SFR in a desirable neighborhood of the Kansas City, Missouri area.
Purchasing for 127k in 02/15, financed at a 3.875 rate, currently about 120k left on the note.
Since our purchase, home values have risen, with the exact same floor plan right next door with LESS upgrades (ie. full privacy fenced back yard, full LED lighting throughout, underground drainage for the gutter system, etc.) selling two months ago for 185k.

My wife and I are currently studying up and building mentor relationships, with intention of purchasing our first investment property within the next year.

At this point, I am strategizing the best thing to do with my SFR.

1. The route I am most interested in, is to refi it and rent it (about 1.5k/month) and then house hack our first fourplex.

2. The other option would be to continue to occupy the SFR and purchase the right fourplex through traditional means and down payments (for which we have the necessary funds).

3. Another option (that I'm not seeing much long term incentive in) is to sell the SFR.

So at this point, I suppose I'm asking the collective...
Any obvious hitches in choice 1?
Anything you would do differently?

Thanks for reading and helping a couple of noobs :)

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord · Jonesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 17 votes
9y

I would go with option 1. If you cash out refi on your home, you might get 80% of $180k (if your home is valued at 180. That is $24k cash to you. That is enough for the 3.5% down FHA. Maybe even have left over for reno. Buy something under market value and refi your new property again. BRRRR.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    The only obvious hitch to choice 1, in my opinion, is where will you be living while the SFR is renting? One way I think could be an option is to sell the SFR and use a 1031 exchange. This way you defer the taxes and you can buy a duplex or fourplex like you mentioned.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the reply, Tom. With option 1. While renting out the SFR we would do a 203(k) loan and occupy one out of the four units in the 4plex.
  • Landlord · Jonesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    I would go with option 1. If you cash out refi on your home, you might get 80% of $180k (if your home is valued at 180. That is $24k cash to you. That is enough for the 3.5% down FHA. Maybe even have left over for reno. Buy something under market value and refi your new property again. BRRRR.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9y

    @Quinten Sepe, Don't forget that if you sell that that former primary residence anytime within the three years after you move out you will still be eligible for the primary residence exclusion and will only owe the depreciation recapture from the time you put it into service.  Even if the appreciation outstrips the exclusion you could take advantage of both the primary residence exclusion and 1031 the remainder.  

    Free appreciation and cash flow for three years is nothing to sniff at.  Just pay real close attention to that 5 year period.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Kelli Huang and @Dave Foster for the replies. BRRRR is the strategy we're after. So the affirmation is good to hear.
    Additionally, awesome points on the primary residence exclusion. My friend/mentor had been recently talking to me about capital gains and related exclusions. I imagine we might leverage that in the future!
    With the SFR I am referencing here, we might end up moving back to occupy it in the future once we have kids. So I don't realistically see us selling it. It's in a highly sought after area and is one of only a handful of newer builds amidst a sea of much older homes.
    Thanks for all of the great input!
    -Q

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.