Neophyte looking for books to educate me on real estate

7 Replies

Hi biggerpockets!

This is my first post, so I'd like to introduce myself a little.  

My name is Akash and I graduated college 4 months ago as a chemical engineer from UCSD.  I've been employed for about 3 months and recently started listening to the BP podcast while driving to work  (The podcast got me to come here!).  I want to start real estate quickly, however, after listening to the BP podcast I've decided that educating myself first is the better decision.  

Also considering that I've got no money saved up for a down payment (its all going to student loans...) , now is the perfect time to educate myself as I save up.

After reading through the ultimate guide, and looking around, I've decided that I want to purchase a duplex, or some form of "plex".  

Have any of you read some really good books to help you get started on real estate investing, particularity on "plexes"?

I'd also love to hear any stories about real estate you have to share!

Here are 20 books to check out and there's one in particular that covers multifamily properties.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/wp-conten...

And I highly recommend listening to every BP podcast, even the ones you think aren't going to be relevant. There's always a good tid bit about strategies that relate to all types of investing.

My favorite was the one by Frank Gallinelli - What Every Real Estate Investor Needs To Know About Cash Flow. Use this to construct your own APODs for deal analysis.

Originally posted by @Tamara Taylor :

Here are 20 books to check out and there's one in particular that covers multifamily properties.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/wp-conten...

And I highly recommend listening to every BP podcast, even the ones you think aren't going to be relevant. There's always a good tid bit about strategies that relate to all types of investing.

Sure thing.  I started on episode 1 and I'm currently on 10.  There's definitely hidden gems in every episode.  After looking through that PDF, I'm going to look into Larry Lotis's book on triplexes, Thanks!

Originally posted by @Abdul Azeez:

My favorite was the one by Frank Gallinelli - What Every Real Estate Investor Needs To Know About Cash Flow. Use this to construct your own APODs for deal analysis.

Why was that book your favorite?  What value did you get out of it?

@Akash Sky Brandon's book on No and Low Money Down really helped me figure out how to finance my first deal. And books like Rich Dad Poor Dad and You Are A Badass are keeping me motivated to move forward with my plans every day. You have to be tenacious in this business. Set a real solid goal for yourself. 

Also, complete your profile or people won't take you seriously. 

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Tamara Taylor :

@Akash Sky Brandon's book on No and Low Money Down really helped me figure out how to finance my first deal. And books like Rich Dad Poor Dad and You Are A Badass are keeping me motivated to move forward with my plans every day. You have to be tenacious in this business. Set a real solid goal for yourself. 

Also, complete your profile or people won't take you seriously. 

Good luck!

Profile completed to the best of my knowledge!  Do you have any advice on what things to include in profiles when starting out?  

I've read rich dad poor dad recently, but I wasn't really able to understand the details behind his concepts.  I'll probably have to give that a closer read sometime soon.  

Does no and low money down only deal with purchases when you are unable to procure a 20% down payment?  I've heard that there's considerable risk involved in doing so and that having a 20% down payment is a safe practice.

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Wealth-One-House-Time/dp/0071448357

Just be honest in your profile and as thorough as possible. Change it as your goals and experiences change.

Nothing in real estate is black and white. A 20% down payment is not always feasible. Everyone's situation is different. The point is to do what ever it takes to get in the game without losing money. Putting down less than 20% works for many people, including me. After this first deal, I will likely be able to put down 20% on the next. 

Keep doing what you're doing. Ask questions, read, network, and listen to podcasts.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here