How to read the Tax Assessment Page and Fema Flood zone

2 Replies

Hey team,

I have a question on how to read the data from the assessment website. 


What does these mean?

Sale Information - Book, NU# Page

Additional Information - Addl Lots, Land Desc, Bldg Desc, Class4Cd

Also how do you know if the house is in the flood zone? I don't know how the FEMA flood map is supposed to be read..

So for the Taxes I believe if you click on the "2016" that has been highlighted it will take you to another page and on the far right column you will find the tax bill. The rest is good to know but not necessary. 

As for the FEMA maps, The best way is to enter you address; then hit the interactive map (newest and most recently updated). It will open up a different tab and you will need to re enter the address. It looks like you are not in any kind of flood zone. If you are on a coastline then of course you are in a high risk flood zone. Mostly you will see that you might have Class A or Class AE and that is moderate risk flood zone and then there are the striped areas where there maybe houses but putting an addition in that area will be hard to clear with zoning. There is also a class X but I forget what that stands for. You can always call FEMA and have them walk you through the maps (That's how I learned) and you insurance brokers should know how to read these as well. (The address you are referring to is not in a flood zone btw!!)

For the sale info, the book, page, etc. are where it is actually recorded, not sure NU#, but if you click on the more info stuff, it looks like something happened, like a divorce maybe, where it went from two names to one, then a quit claim deed.  For the flood zone, it depends on elevation and how near the coast or waterway or not.  For instance, you can be on a coastline where some of your property is actually AE but the building is in the portion X (high enough to not be in special flood hazard area), then you likely won't be required to purchase flood insurance to get the loan.  If, however, any part of the building, even a corner of an attached garage, is in Zone AE, you will most likely be required to purchase it.  Make sure you check effective date of the map and that there is not another preliminary one awaiting becoming effective.  If there is a preliminary map, check it as well as if it changes the zone, it will change once the map becomes effective.  One of my rentals has a tiny corner of the building in AE so flood insurance required, but preliminary map shows it will be removed from AE into X once it becomes effective, so can't wait for that to happen.    

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here