What do you look for in someone you are teaching

What do you look for in someone you are teaching

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 453 posts · 254 votes

What do some of the more experienced investors look for when considering mentoring someone? Is there certain subject homework or research you would like to see done prior to meeting in person or before you truly begin to spend time teaching someone? What do you require to continue to teach someone? Do you bring that person on as a partner at some point if you both get along?

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · San Bernardino, CA · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 238 votes
    9y

    Every person I've ever mentored told me at one point, "Wow, real estate sounds cool. I wish I could do it!" I told them to call me and we can discuss it further. Two out of probably fifty people ended up calling me. Those two people are some of the best agents/employees I have at my office. Look for people that are self-motivated and looking for an opportunity to learn.

    One of the two, has shown an interest in investing in real estate. They've shown me research and we've talked for hours analyzing deals. I do not like partnering with people, but I included him as a partner on one of my commercial property purchases. He's been a huge help and continues to improve the way we do things at my company. One day I may have him as my partner, but as you can tell from my story above, you'll know as you progress together.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 453 posts · 254 votes
    9y
    David Friedman wow I am really shocked so many people express the desire but then never act upon that. I wonder why that is.
  • Property Manager · San Bernardino, CA · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 238 votes
    9y

    Sean, I think people see the results of my success, but not all of the hard work it took me to get there. Once they realize how hard the work is, it's not so "cool" anymore.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.