What are your buy and hold criteria?

What are your buy and hold criteria?

USA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 62 votes
I would like to know what criteria you currently use for your buy and hold properties. My current buy and hold criteria are: sfr built after 1990 1300-2000 sq. ft. 3 bed 2 bath Central air/ heat pump City water and sewer basement Garage 3-5 minutes from shopping cul-de-sac or corner lot Light traffic 20% below market price $300 cash flow minimum
1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 143 votes
9y

Rick

Some food for thought.  Here is my way of investing for meaningful cash flow.

For 40+ years in Northern Calif. I did all kinds of real estate investing.  I love it all.

But I quickly found that buying one single family house at a time with no "real" cash flow and hoping for appreciation was not a recipe for financial success in my lifetime.  Way too slow and boring.

Fast forward.  Here is the plan I used to get 250+house rentals at  my high mark (they are houses but not like the one mentioned above).

Plan:

-Buy GROUPS of older houses on a single parcel.  

-These could be a combination of small houses, cottages, duplexes, conversions, legal non-comforming, small apartment on a SINGLE PARCEL. 

-Older parts of town, not dangerous parts.

-Ideally they need fix up, probably because of weak management.

-5 or more units.  This makes it ideal for seller financing.  Banks will not loan on rundown properties with 5 or more units.  The seller knows this and will almost always be open to carry the financing.  85% + of mine had seller financing.

-Seller financing can be terms that are beneficial to you:  Term, no payments for awhile, graduated payments.  What ever you need to get cash flow.

-I usually put about 10% down.

-Because the units are run down, the rents at time of purchase are almost always below market.

-Because they are run down the GRM (gross rent received from property for a year) is lower than it would be if units were fixed up.

-My goal over a 2 year period was to fix up the units, get better tenants over that period and raise rents by 50%. Remember they were already below market and fix up raises rents. Because I fixed the units up I will raise the GRM that an investor will pay( IF I were to sell) by 2 points.

-Raising rents by 50% and the GRM by 2 just about DOUBLES the value of the property. Very doable.

-I manage them.  I developed this to keep my sanity in the property management part of the business.  Way less personal contacts with tenants.

-Years later when it came time to sell, I INSISTED ON CARRYING BACK THE FINANCING.  I call this PAJAMA MONEY.  Remember I forced up appreciation at the beginning by fix up and have many many years of general market appreciation (if no market appreciation, I still do very well). At the beginning of each month I can go to my mailbox, pick up the checks for the buyers of my properties..........I can do this in my PAJAMAS.

-Buying groups of houses is way safer than just buying one.  A vacancy with 1 house is 100% vacancy.  If I have vacancy with 5 houses, it is only 20% vacancy.  80% of other rent keeps rolling in each month.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 305 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    I keep things pretty simple.

    1. Is the surrounding neighborhood decent?

    2. Is it currently the worst looking on the block?

    3. If rehabbed will it be the nicest on the block?

    4. What will I invest rehabbing?

    5. How much will it rent for?

    6. Is rent enough to give me a decent rate of return? 

    7. Is it manageable by one of my current property managers?

    8. Do I have the cash to talk the talk?

    9. Am I in the mood for another?

    10. Is my wife in the mood for us to do another rental????????

    See simple

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    IMO, the house configuration and amenities are highly variable & to me immaterial.

    The ABSOLUTE criterion is cash flow - - hey, it's an investment & I want something for my time, effort and initial cash-in as an annual ROI. I was happy with an NOI of 350/mo/door - - you may want more or be happy with less.

    SFR vs MFR are personal choices especially on BP, but I held a 6-plex for 19yrs myself

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    200 monthly cash flow, C or better neighborhood, 60-80k purchase price, ideally recently renovated, CoC return of 10 percent or better
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Rick S. My criteria has changed a lot since I started. Before I wanted only 4 plex properties with all 2 bed units. Now I look at single family as well as multis.
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    I keep it simple.

    1 - Net CF >= 10% of All cash in cost

    2 - Net CF >= minimum of $500/month (w/PM; no debt)

    Now, I'm paying all cash for this because within a few months (or days even) I'm getting ALL of the cash I put in back...with  profit.  I re-invest all of the cash into the next deal(s), and repeat.  I repeat until I start spending only the profits (I never spend my seed money...even after it grows), but I continue to re-invest the growing seed money.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Purchase price 100-150k. CF at least $500 per month. Buy a fixer for value add and hope for appreciation.
  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 402 votes
    9y

    Buy at below market $90K to $105K

    Cash flow over $300

    Low Taxes

    Class C or above 

    Area's Vacancy Rate 

    Below 1,800 sq. ft.

    at least 3 bed 2 bath (or one and half)

    Low Rehab cost

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    Minimum 3 bedrooms, at least 1100 sq. ft. Don't care when it was built, but it does need to be in a B/C neighborhood in town, close to shopping and restuarants, and never on a busy main street. Carport or garage is preferred but not a deal breaker. Must have an indoor laundry room and either have a dishwasher or space for me to put one in.

    And cash flow a minimum of $300 a month.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Multi family with positive cash flow based on 100% financing numbers. Located in a B class rental property neighbourhood. Each property assessed on it's own merit. Stringent requirements beyond rent ability and cash flow only narrow your options. Every investment property has a pool of potential tenants.

  • Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    9y

    Rick

    Some food for thought.  Here is my way of investing for meaningful cash flow.

    For 40+ years in Northern Calif. I did all kinds of real estate investing.  I love it all.

    But I quickly found that buying one single family house at a time with no "real" cash flow and hoping for appreciation was not a recipe for financial success in my lifetime.  Way too slow and boring.

    Fast forward.  Here is the plan I used to get 250+house rentals at  my high mark (they are houses but not like the one mentioned above).

    Plan:

    -Buy GROUPS of older houses on a single parcel.  

    -These could be a combination of small houses, cottages, duplexes, conversions, legal non-comforming, small apartment on a SINGLE PARCEL. 

    -Older parts of town, not dangerous parts.

    -Ideally they need fix up, probably because of weak management.

    -5 or more units.  This makes it ideal for seller financing.  Banks will not loan on rundown properties with 5 or more units.  The seller knows this and will almost always be open to carry the financing.  85% + of mine had seller financing.

    -Seller financing can be terms that are beneficial to you:  Term, no payments for awhile, graduated payments.  What ever you need to get cash flow.

    -I usually put about 10% down.

    -Because the units are run down, the rents at time of purchase are almost always below market.

    -Because they are run down the GRM (gross rent received from property for a year) is lower than it would be if units were fixed up.

    -My goal over a 2 year period was to fix up the units, get better tenants over that period and raise rents by 50%. Remember they were already below market and fix up raises rents. Because I fixed the units up I will raise the GRM that an investor will pay( IF I were to sell) by 2 points.

    -Raising rents by 50% and the GRM by 2 just about DOUBLES the value of the property. Very doable.

    -I manage them.  I developed this to keep my sanity in the property management part of the business.  Way less personal contacts with tenants.

    -Years later when it came time to sell, I INSISTED ON CARRYING BACK THE FINANCING.  I call this PAJAMA MONEY.  Remember I forced up appreciation at the beginning by fix up and have many many years of general market appreciation (if no market appreciation, I still do very well). At the beginning of each month I can go to my mailbox, pick up the checks for the buyers of my properties..........I can do this in my PAJAMAS.

    -Buying groups of houses is way safer than just buying one.  A vacancy with 1 house is 100% vacancy.  If I have vacancy with 5 houses, it is only 20% vacancy.  80% of other rent keeps rolling in each month.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Multi family with positive cash flow based on 100% financing numbers. Located in a B class rental property neighbourhood. Each property assessed on it's own merit. Stringent requirements beyond rent ability and cash flow only narrow your options. Every investment property has a pool of potential tenants.

    In the market I am presented with, 5+ units separates the newbies with little capital from the 'players' because the new entrants generally can't get financing without the 1-4 family GSE money. And under $1M total financing keeps the small multifamily players out because they can't go GSE multi-family financing either because of the $1M minimum. That translates to 5-30 or so unit properties with total acquisition price below $1.2M or so.

    My goal, then, is for the Net Income after depreciation numbers to work at a hypothetical 100% financing. That is a high bar in this market. Not impossible, but tough.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    I like the following:
    1. 1995 or newer
    2. B or better areas
    3. minor rehab work under 15K
    4. ability to get 1% or better per month
    5. locations near shopping, schools, etc
    6. decent school districts
    I pay cash for most of my properties or utilize private money so my cash flow is usually good.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Our main criteria are:

    - 75% market value

    - Cash flows even with a 100% LTV 8% interest only loan on it (aiming for $100/month at least)

    - Decent area (doesn't need to be great, but not a warzone)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.