Setting up my real estate business

12 Replies

Who is your favorite investor friendly attorney, accountant, financial institution and realtor (if you're in the Baltimore area)?

Attorney I use Robert Greenwalt (but he only does small stuff for me), I use Katz Cohen for accounting,  financial institutions are so many and realtor, well I'm my own realtor and so far my agent is doing a pretty good job :P

@Shaquetta Chittams

In Baltimore, my favorite attorney is Jennifer Alter at Eagle Premier Title. Their office is downtown. The lender really depends on what type of loan you're going for (owner occupied FHA for multi units or straight investor loans).

Favorite Realtor right now is Josh McBride at Keller Williams.  He owns investor properties and is in the market for more, so he knows what's out there and KW is a great company giving him lots of resources.

PM me for contact information.

Best of luck

Stephanie

I'll be in Baltimore next month and I will definitely give you a ring

Originally posted by @Gabriel G. :

Attorney I use Robert Greenwalt (but he only does small stuff for me), I use Katz Cohen for accounting,  financial institutions are so many and realtor, well I'm my own realtor and so far my agent is doing a pretty good job :P

Gabriel, can I send you a PM in reference to your accountant? I'm currently looking for one. 

@Shaquetta Chittams

Jennifer probably would, but that's not what she does. She owns a title company that closes loans and provides title insurance. She works with investors and is comfortable with discussing LLC's, sole proprietors and other types of company structures, but you should probably read about the variety of ways to structure your properties before you try to purchase.

The way you structure your company and how you're going to hold title will affect your ability to borrow and dictate which types of loan you can get, how much down payment you will be required to pay as well as rates, fees, disclosures and prepayment penalties etc...  At US Commercial, we ALWAYS recommend you go with the cheapest route possible (that's not us and this is not a solicitation Mr./Ms. Moderator), go for bank financing first (even though it provides the most hassle) and then go for more of a portfolio lender once you've either exhausted that avenue or you don't qualify.

There is a lot of good information about structure and how it affects purchases and lending here on Biggerpockets with a wealth of relatively free information.  I'd start here.

Hope that helps

Stephanie

Originally posted by @Shaquetta Chittams :

Who is your favorite investor friendly attorney, accountant, financial institution and realtor (if you're in the Baltimore area)?

I'm still looking for my investor friendly accountant. However, my investor friendly agent is Brad Chenowith with Keller Williams. He's a former co-worker who now does REI full time and has multiple units of his own. Focuses on multi family properties and complete gut and renovations in the city. Hope that helps.

@Shaquetta Chittams   i don't use a real estate agent. But if I did @Gabriel G. would be one of the ones I talk to.  ( Heck I talk to him anyway).

I highly recommend Jeff Stoller From Goodwhich Stoller and Associates. (easy to find on Google) 

As for attorney's it depends specifically on what you want done. However I know many people use Jennifer at Eagle Premier but she can't insure our tax sale properties so we don't work with her much.  Anthony Onwuanibe is a good general purpose real estate attorney, he does title work, foreclosures, collections etc.

Thank you @Ned Carey ! I'm at the very beginning. I purchased a multi-unit with an FHA loan and was attempting to house hack but I needed the space. I need some guidance on how to put the house in an LLC (or if I should at all) for when I decide to move out.

@Eric G. Absolutely, I don't mind sharing at all. You can also google them pretty easily. They do half the real estate investors in Baltimore. 

@Shaquetta Chittams I'd be happy to help as best I can. Let's chat!

@Ned Carey thank you sir! I haven't bought tax liens but if I did, I would talk to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here