Investing in a flip (being the money man)

Investing in a flip (being the money man)

Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hi all!   This is my first post on BP.  I am considering putting up some money for a flip.  I would just be a money man that would be a small portion of the overall deal. In exchange for my investment the "Flipper" is willing to be a mentor and show me the ropes and also give a small % return on my money.  I feel its a good deal.  My question is... What kind of paperwork should be in place to legalize the investment and I understand I should write a check to his company not him personally?  Any thoughts or comments would be great!   I know this is an investment that has risks, I just don't want to get taken advantage of.   

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 34 votes
8y

@Andrew Sessions,

Stop! Please proceed with caution.

It's a mistake to intermingle a mentorship and an investment. Which one is this?

I mentor new investors all the time. It's very time consuming and my time is worth a lot. So I charge for that service. My clients ALWAYS know what they'll get in exchange for their money. We have a contract that clearly defines my responsibilities to them as the mentor and their responsibilities as the mentee. 

I also have private investors that fund my fix and flip projects. All transactions are managed through a licensed title agent. Contracts are signed prior to funding the loan. The contracts explicitly state the length of the loan, interest rates, equity share, and procedures in case of a default. A mortgage is then filed against the property to secure their investment. None of my investors has ever written a check directly to my company to fund a project. 

I'm sorry to interject my opinion so strongly here. This situation just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Hold onto your money and find a local mentor who has experience (in years not months) investing in the type of real estate in which you want to be involved. Pay that person to teach you. You'll get a much better result and will save yourself a lot of frustration and angst.

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    8y

    Andrew. Good questions.

    If you are going to be providing equity for the project then you can sign a JV agreement for the project with him. This will make you and the flipping partners in the project for a share in the profits. Then once the property has been purchased you can have a deed of trust placed on the property which will tie your funds to the property for additional protection.

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    8y

    A few thoughts:

    What's  "a small % return"?

    Do you know this person?

    Have they done flips before?

    Are you personally familiar with the quality of work?

  • Real Estate Broker · Bronx, NY · Member since 2011 · 597 posts · 341 votes
    8y

    @Antoine Martel seems like you have experience in this. I'm working on my 4th property and looking for 2 more. These will mostly be flips except for 1. I have two different partnerships that fund deals, but I went a different route and set up LLC's for each partnership. I'm considering doing another 1 for another person who wants to fund some deals. While I know you are not a CPA or attorney, do you think it was a good route to take, or overkill? Just curious as to others thoughts.

    @Andrew Sessions great question. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    @Andrew Sessions,

    Stop! Please proceed with caution.

    It's a mistake to intermingle a mentorship and an investment. Which one is this?

    I mentor new investors all the time. It's very time consuming and my time is worth a lot. So I charge for that service. My clients ALWAYS know what they'll get in exchange for their money. We have a contract that clearly defines my responsibilities to them as the mentor and their responsibilities as the mentee. 

    I also have private investors that fund my fix and flip projects. All transactions are managed through a licensed title agent. Contracts are signed prior to funding the loan. The contracts explicitly state the length of the loan, interest rates, equity share, and procedures in case of a default. A mortgage is then filed against the property to secure their investment. None of my investors has ever written a check directly to my company to fund a project. 

    I'm sorry to interject my opinion so strongly here. This situation just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

    Hold onto your money and find a local mentor who has experience (in years not months) investing in the type of real estate in which you want to be involved. Pay that person to teach you. You'll get a much better result and will save yourself a lot of frustration and angst.

    Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ceasar Rosas:

    @Antoine Martel seems like you have experience in this. I'm working on my 4th property and looking for 2 more. These will mostly be flips except for 1. I have two different partnerships that fund deals, but I went a different route and set up LLC's for each partnership. I'm considering doing another 1 for another person who wants to fund some deals. While I know you are not a CPA or attorney, do you think it was a good route to take, or overkill? Just curious as to others thoughts.

    @Andrew Sessions great question. 

    I think that that is a good strategy. I set up and LLC for each project and that is what I would recommend doing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.