Getting involved in RE development?

1 Reply

I have always had an interest in real estate, especially the development aspect of it. My interest grew high when I started attending REI meetings, however I couldn't go anymore as my their meetings and my schedule with my business/school didn't line up properly.

I went to school for something totally on the different end of business/real estate.

Some have told me to get involved by becoming a RE agent, however that's not quite what I'm really interested in.

I'm located in NYC, so I consider myself in a good spot already. I did find a school that does have a degree in RE development, but I also have been told it would be a waste of time.

I was thinking about reaching out to someone in the field and possibly work with them for free. Any suggestions on how I could possibly get my feet wet in the door would be great!

Also, in regards to development, residential housing/apartments.

Thanks

I have built new construction myself but I have a lot of experience working with developers over the past 20 years. If you are not well financed you can lose a lot of money. Most developers don't make any money until the last 10% of the project or so; no buyers pay for streets, water and sewer lines, electrical lines, etc. 

If you want to work in this field, you might consider finding a developer and shadowing them through a project or two.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.