Cash out refi or HELOC on primary residence

1 Reply

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I'm brand new to the idea of real estate investing and am trying to formulate a plan in order to acquire my first rental property. My primary residence is worth $250k and I owe $130k on my mortgage. I am trying to scrape together some cash for a down payment on my first property. Do I ? A) Do a cash out refi for $200k and use the $70k to payoff a high interest truck loan and then use the remaining $49k for 1 or 2 down payments. OR B) Get a $50k HELOC, pay off the truck ($21k) leaving me $29k for a down? I guess I don't understand the pros & cons of the 2. Please help

The typical HELOC rate is between 4 and 5% depending on how much you borrow. If your truck payment % is higher, then it makes sense to replace it with HELOC. You could pay of truck and use the remaining HELOC for down payment. Just make sure your debt to income ratio allows you to have essentially 3 mortgages. The bank or credit union can help you figure out your DTI. And then down the line , when your HELOC Is paid of you can re-use it. While cash out refinance has pretty big closing costs and it's one time deal, HELOC will cost you like $90 to open.

Just my thoughts

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.