Is this calculation correct?

5 Replies

Tell me if my calculations make sense as im thinking about buying a 50k sfh rental. I buy house for 50k. put 10k down on it. 2.5k closing costs. 12.5 total cash investment. No immediate repairs needed. It will rent for 735. When following the 50% rule, it will cash flow around 60 dollars a month. That is 800 a year. So my return on investment would be: 800 cash flow yearly 3% property appreciation=1500 yearly principal paydown=600 yearly total yearly=2900 2900 divided by 12500 = .23 23 percent total return.

I'd recommend using the BP tools to help calculate that and if you should buy.  (The rule of thumb I've been seeing is minimum $100 per unit cash flow and at least 12% cash on cash...just so you know what to look for to decide if it's a good deal.)  They are pretty comprehensive and include things we might not think of like insurance and taxes (which I don't see included here).  Your cash flow of $60 doesn't leave a lot of margin for error.  To be safe, I think you should use the tool.  Good luck!

@Byran Parson this is not a good deal. I will assume you are new, so I will try not to sound like a jerk. Don't Answer, but just ask yourself a few questions.

Do you think it is a good idea to invest $12,500 in hopes of getting $60 per month? 

Will it actually rent for $735? 

What if the renter doesn't pay? Can you afford to carry the cost of the property if vacant?

$60 per month would make you $600 in 10 months. Then the hot water heater goes out and it costs $700 to replace.

Please be aware that even if you made $100 per month of cash flow, you will never make any money from one house using this method. $100 per door works if you have 100 units and maybe even 50 units, but never just one. You need more cash flow Sir.

@Byran Parson I failed to mention that your 3% appreciation projection is unreliable. I would suggest that you do not use appreciation to determine if you should buy a property. Appreciation does happen and will probably happen over a long period of time, but property can also go down in value 3%. If you get appreciation, great, but don't count on it.

Hi Bryan -

I agree with Jody & Anthony, you need to dig deeper into the operating expenses. If your cash flowing $60 a month with only the factors you mentioned, keep looking.

Remember to also include management fees when factoring operating expenses 10-12%?of gross monthly rent assuming this is your only rental).

Julian

actually i calculated incorrectly. the mortgage (p&i only) is 240. rent is 725. the mortgage is 33% of the rent. so it should cash flow 122.50 per month.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide