Trying to decide what to upgrade

3 Replies

Needing a little advise. I have 3bd 2.5 bath home  in Dallas, Tx under contract right now.  I plan to stay at the property for about 5/6 years then rent or flip depending on the market. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which upgrades would bring the most value to the home. The home was built in 2000 so its not super outdated but can definitely use a face lift in areas like the kitchen, bathroom, and fresh paint.

Can any one tell me what upgrades have you seen bring the most value to a property, and what kind of time frame should I use? would it be better to wait until closer to the time I'm ready to rent/ or sell to make the upgrades. I am also planning to rent out a room while I'm living here.  Thanks in advance !

The upgrades that bring the most value will be in the kitchen and bathrooms. These are places you can put the shiny upgrades such as appliances, faucets, cabinet and drawer pulls, light fixtures, etc. 

Kitchen and master bath.  If the master shower is amazing, the house will sell. 

Don't do any upgrades now. If you do by the time you sell they will be outdated and not add any value to the property. Reno just before you sell but do not expect a 100% return on investment.

If you intend to rent it don't do any upgrades.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.