New Investor From Rhode Island

7 Replies

New to real estate investing and new to Bigger Pockets!  I have been listing to the podcast for about a year now which has been fueling my desire to become a real estate investor.  I am a recent college grad trying to balance rent, student loans, and saving up money to buy a property.  I have made a goal to myself to buy my first property one year from today!  

Any investors from the Rhode Island area?  I have seen a lot of traffic from the Midwest area but not too much from the East Coast / New England.  Fellow New Englanders - i'd love to connect! 

@Calvin Matthes You've certainly come to the right place! There's a small number of active RI investors here on BP and a much bigger number of folks who stop by occasionally, but collectively we've got a good set of experience to help with most questions.

The podcasts and other resources here on Bigger Pockets are fantastic, and another resource you might check out is a local real estate investor group such as the RI Real Estate Investors Group (RIREIG) which usually meets the 3rd Thursday of each month - check out their website rireig.com for upcoming meeting info.

I usually recommend that new people try to connect with other folks who are just starting out or maybe one step ahead, like people who just got their first rental property, meet up for coffee/tea/whatever and help each other out etc.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have questions along the way so you can certainly ask them here. Welcome to BP!

Hi Calvin,

Not quite Rhode Island, but i am a newbie in NH who just purchased my first property a few weeks ago.

Bigger Pockets has definitely been motivating over the last 6 months or so to get me here. 

Now i just hope i made a wise first choice. The market this year was very high priced and nothing around here comes even remotely close to profit margins i hear some people talk about in other parts of the country, at least not at MLS/realtor listed prices.

Anyway keep focuesed and good luck in getting your first property.

Hi Calvin and welcome to bigger pockets. I am a RI investor who started out just like you. I saved and bought my first property a few years after college. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Hi Calvin.

I'm a Real Estate Investor & also a Realtor. I have an office in Bristol, and would love to buy you a cup of coffee some time.  I can offer you some advice on investment properties based on my own experiences, and can also help you narrow down your search for the right property. 

My contact info is listed in my profile, I am not allowed to post it in threads, I guess BP doesn't want realtors clogging up their website with advertising.

I look forward to hearing from you.

@Calvin Matthes Welcome to BP, and congrats on setting your first big real estate goal.  I'm a neighbor of yours right here in Warren RI.  And I've just purchased my first rental property this past summer.  I'd love to connect over lunch sometime and help out in any way I can.  Send me a PM if you'd like. 

Morning Calvin - I’m in Smithfield RI. I haven’t purchased our own personal investment property yet, but we haven’t found the right opportunity yet. I’m an agent and work with investors and my real estate partner and her family have several units. It would be awesome if a few of us could grab coffee sometime soon. Would any of you be available this coming week? Tuesday or Thursday?

Melanie Ruiz, Real Estate Agent in RI (#42012) and MA (#9529945)
508-233-3863

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.