Hi! Basic questions, I am sure there is actually a resource for them on the BP, I just haven't found it yet.
When analyzing a neighborhood's value....
1. What are the best trend indicators to follow? Crime, School Rating, recent sales comps, ... anything else?
2. Also, what resource should I be using to forecast future growth/value of a neighborhood? I see on Zillow they have "neighborhood evals", but how are they determining increases and declines in growth rate? Id rather use more resources that just Zillow to determine popularity. I hear investing in Parker is great, but as a newbie/soon-to-be investor, why would I know its great?
1.) Comparing the previous year's rents, values, etc. Average days on the market for properties in that county is good thing to look at as well. Robert Campbell has a great book called "Timing the Real Estate Market" that really breaks down the best indicators. I definitely recommend checking that out. I tend to look at population trends, economic trends (i.e. local business growth), as well as the other things you mentioned.
2.) I'd be curious to hear other people's suggestions for aggregator out there for this info. I think The National Association of Realtors gives forecasting, I take some of it with a grain a salt but it may help point you in the right direction.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing