Finding the financials

2 Replies

Where do you find a property’s income/expenses? Can you see them on estate agents sites?

I can’t find them, but I want to start practicing doing cash flow calculations.

Sorry if this is a basic question! I’m a beginner

Thank you

I find my info on Zillow and Trulia.  I wouldn't buy based solely on that.  I'd ask your agent's opinion, the seller, and anyone else who might know.  But to start with it gives you some numbers to plug in to see if this is a property you want to pursue.

Let's use Zillow as an example.  After the Facts and Features section, there is a list of drop downs in large, bold font.  Click the 1st one, "Home Value" and scroll to the bottom of that section.  There is usually a "Rental Zestimate."  Under that drop down is "Price / Tax History."  Here you can see how many times the property has been sold and at what price.  Below that you can see how much the taxes are.  (You can also see this on your county tax assessor's site.  They are publicly accessible in almost every county.  You just need the county and address.)  

Now let's look at Trulia. About a 1/3 of the way down, give or take, is a big colorful circle. Next to it you can find the taxes, insurance, and any HOA fees. You can even plug in numbers to get an estimate on your mortgage payment.

This is where I find my info.  I'm happy you are running numbers, though!  That's super important!  Good luck!  Oh, and WELCOME TO BP!  :-D

Thank you very much Jody, I will give it a go!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here