Business Student:career to support real estate investing

1 Reply

I am currently finishing up my final year at a top business school and I have recently become really interested in real estate. I can’t stop reading up on real estate investing, listening to podcasts, and getting lost in these forums. I think that the smartest first step for me is to try and get a job at some real estate company doing finance. I want to try and find a position at a real estate private equity firm, but I’m open to any positions. I think that it would be a great opportunity to learn the business and make valuable connections in real estate. My question is whether or not this seems like a good idea, and I’m looking for any advice on how to make that happen. I’ve been emailing people at private equity firms to try and intro myself but I have been having difficulties getting responses and finding new firms to reach out to. Thanks! Best, Zack

Just a preface, I am a former Accounting & Finance recruiter in NYC and have experience with real estate companies. 

Getting a job in real estate finance is certainly a great way to start out in real estate. Since you are at a top business school, I would take advantage of their career center, events, and alumni network (reach out to alumni from your school that work at target firms) to break into the space. You can broaden your search to real estate investment firms and investment banks, as well PE - that should open some more opportunities. 

Alternatively, you can look into roles with the top commercial brokerages, I know the big ones have world class training programs that will greatly increase your real estate investing knowledge. Plus you'll grow a big network if you take that route. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! @Zack Mattin

Bonus Tip: Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call the alumni or ask people within your current network for introductions to people within your target firms.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here