Learning about entrepreneurship, business, computers

24 Replies

Hi everyone, I have a question for all of you today regarding learning about entrepreneurship! So as you many of you may know I am looking to start in entrepreneurship to get capital for real estate when I turn 18! So since I'm going to do entrepreneurship online, I need to learn about a lot of things. Here are some things that I have in mind that I want to learn about, let me know if there's anything else I should learn as well: Startups Economics Finance Accounting Real estate Ecommerce Entrepreneurship Online payments IT languages and other things like that So with that said, is there some other things I should consider learning all of this from? What courses should I take that are free that can teach me these topics? Would I need to take courses for each topic or are there courses that can teach multiple courses in one. Please let me know and help me out, thanks!

I’m not sure how many of these courses these places would have but MIT and Stanford, Harvard etc have online classes you can watch for free. I’d recommend taking a look at that and seeing what you can find

@Caleb Heimsoth I will check that out, what do you think I should learn specifically? What topics on the technology side of things because I don't know what I would need to learn that would actually be useful, would you know?

If you want to learn about technology I️ would Learn hard skills like coding or Mathematics. Coding would be the most useful. I️ had a childhood friend who did that and now runs his own startup (he’s 23). But keep in mind it’s hard to do

So is coding, programming, and IT language all the same I was confused on that. And is that all I should learn or is there other things other than coding that I should learn like computer science, etc. I'm not sure if these are all the same thing so let me know, thanks!

computer science basically means learning how to code.  IT is different. Traditionally IT is fixing computers.  Coding is creating something totally new.  IT is fixing something that already exists.

Also, what are the courses that I should take that would make me ready to do technology startups and are needed for me? Thanks for all of the help!

And what did you mean about mathematics? Like regular math, what kind of math?

Computer science is coding, they're basically the same thing (without getting into details). If you go to a good school and study computer science you will have strong job prospects which makes REI much easier.

You’re clearly an ambitious young man so I’d aim high and try to go to a top notch school like Cornell.  

@Caleb Heimsoth so I shouldn't learn about IT language from a course? I read that IT was important for entrepreneurs and people doing startups, is that right?

You are probably confusing IT and computer science.  They aren’t the same thing as said above.  For entrepreneurship I’d say computer science is more important.  Computer science will help you create a product.  IT as a business is usually consulting or a service business 

judging from your posts like this one and others it seems you have a lot of ideas and things you want to do.  That’s great but If you have too many, then you won’t be focused and will likely learn nothing.  

That being said I’d do computer science but I’m not going to tell you to not learn IT.  No one can answer all these questions for you. Just personally, I️ think computer science is more useful, but that doesn’t mean IT isn’t. 

@Michael Kantar , you are not too young to take a coding class to see if you like it. Check out https://www.codecademy.com/ where you can take an online class for free. If you like it, keep going. If not, you haven't wasted any money. 

@Michael Kantar

I would recommend to simply start by learning some basics in the "Python" Coding language.  Python is a very flexible language and would be super useful as you progress through your learning journey.  Specifically I would recommend the following which will help you take action and get started:

1)  Coursera - Python for Everybody (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/python)  which starts at the beginning and great for students with little experience. The material is presented in a classroom format with "Dr. Chuck" from the University of Michigan providing lectures through videos.  Should still be free as long as you don't want the "certificate" from completing the course.

2)  Codeacademy - Learn Python (https://www.codecademy.com/learn) this is a great compliment to the Coursera - Python for Everybody class where you will be able to apply what you learned in small coding exercises.

3)  Raspberry Pi 3 - Once you start to make a little progress in Coursera and Codeacademy you can put your newly acquired skills to practice by purchasing a Raspberry Pi 3 (super cheap computer) and coding up some some projects.

I would lean towards taking action in a specific area such as coding in Python opposed to trying to wrap your head around computer science, IT, coding, entrepreneurship, etc. which can can a little overwhelming to take in all at once.  

"Life rewards those who take action"

All the best!

Scott Dixon   

The raspberry pi looks cool although I never got one. I have been wishing more and more that I had gotten in depth with computers rather than just playing games on them! I think the best place to get advice on computers is a website like biggerpockets except geared towards techies; they'll be able to tell you better. Get immersed in the tech world just like you have with real estate.

Hello, checkout www.udemy.com and you can take classes on these topics. I recommend learning a backend programming language and then some frontend technologies like Html,css etc. Then understand accounting principles, taxation if you can. Then get a degree in Information technology or computer science or engineering with a minor in RE Finance then top it off with an MBA! Thats my blueprint. I wish you all the best

Best way to learn about business is to start one  -- start with a low capital service business like dog walking or house sitting.  You will be forced to learn about marketing, bookkeeping, collections, customer service, and (unfortunately) government regulation.  Take advantage of the fact that you are a minor and people want to help out a gung-ho kid.  Do they have Junior Achievement in your high school?  It is a club sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and they help young people start their own business.   If they don't have a chapter in your school, can you join a chapter at another school?  Also, can you do (free) dual credit high school/community college courses?  Ask your HS counselor.

I am a firm believer that you should have an educational goal before you attend college.  For post high school, check out the Praxis apprenticeship programs @ www.discoverpraxis.com.   Should help you focus on your goals, or even if you decide you need college.

Don't forget your public library.

Udemy.com has awesome $10 courses on a wide variety of subjects.  One of my favorite podcasts is Side Hustle School.  Free on iTunes, and lots of great inspiration. 

Great responses!  I would echo the comment from @Caleb Heimsoth about focus.  It's great to be ambitious and to want to learn everything but it takes time and persistence.  I've had coding on my list for years...  A structured environment, like school, makes this easier (although it is not essential either).  

For the entrepreneurship side, since Udemy was mentioned, I just signed up for "Product Hacks - Develop a Product for Free or Cheap", which is free with this link (https://www.udemy.com/product-hacks-101/?couponCode=weloveourfriends).  It's usually only 10 bucks otherwise.

learn mobile development. Android and iOS. I would honestly say web development as well. JavaScript is everywhere.  Not many schools offer courses in those since you can make money with them if done right. 

I’ll also study computer networking since cloud storage is here to stay. 

One of the only things that was useful with my Comp science degree was it made sense when learning the hard theory stuff. Data structures, algorithms and A. I.(a broad topic nowadays). 

@Michael Kantar Great job with the motivation mate. I think it would serve you to drill down on something specifically. All those are useful, but very broad and you don't need to know everything! You'll 'chase two rabbits and catch none', as they say! As I recommended E Commerce to you based on your goals here's all you need to do:

A) Spend less than you earn and create a budget
B) Follow this https://www.junglescout.com/how-to-sell-on-amazon-... C) Find mentors and like minded people in this space
D) Take Action

@Dan Wickland that's correct, I just want to learn a little about computers so I can do this stuff by myself and not pay somebody to do that stuff for me.

Thanks everyone for all of the help, I will try and learn about this stuff and see if I like it or not!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.