• Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
College or Real Estate?

Michael Guzik
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Dec 1 2017, 11:56

Hey guys I'm 19 years old and am wondering what I should do with my life. I graduated 4th in my class out of 678 students, not because I was the smartest but because I worked 10x harder than the rest of the class. I didn't party and was always in tutoring to be honest I am probably the "dumbest" kid out of those top 10 but persistence is one of my strong suits. Since I was in the top 1% a lot of people including my parents wanted me to go to school to become a doctor or "something successful". However I didn't want to and I didn't want to waste my parents money and drag them down further in debt doing something that I didn't like and that wouldn't help me get where I want. I went to a junior college and got my associates in business for free through their presidential scholarship. Right now I am working at a real estate management company that I was lucky to get into because my Aunt works there but I found out about this job right before this past semester so I had to cancel my classes and not go to school this semester. My parents aren't very supportive of my real estate dreams and my thirst for financial freedom. I love them but they have a middle class mindset of go to school, get a job and retire at 65 after working that job for 40 years. I'm making 25k which I know isn't a lot and won't help me for long. My problem is that I obviously need capital to get into real estate. Even with house hacking I will need income to purchase future properties and other things. I would love to work for a business or do something real estate involved or entrepreneurial in nature to make good money but I haven't quite seen a way to do this so far for me. My parents are pushing me to go to college so I am here trying to think if I do go to college what degree should I pursue? I don't plan on working that job my whole life(but who knows) and would really just be using it to make good money until real estate can replace it. I don't want to waste what little money my parents have saved up for me and get them further in debt and get myself in bad debt with student loans unless the outcome is a great degree and job. What do you guys think about college vs real estate and/or entrepreneurship? What do you suggest or what would you do? Last but not least thank you for even taking the time to read this and thank you for any and all comments and opinions I really do appreciate them.

Loading replies...