Putting down 15%????

Putting down 15%????

Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 14 votes
I’m always hearing on here about how investors only put down 10% or less. How is that possible with investment properties? I’m always told minimum 15% for investment properties.
1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HurstBusiness Member
Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

15% down is available for full doc conventional financing AND debt service coverage ratio loan for single family homes.  You do have to have decent credit for both options but fully available. 10% would have to be a portfolio loan that there is likely more to the story the simply 10% down. 

Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    The minimum for a conventional loan is 15%. However commercial products will have much more variance. I imagine anyone putting down 10% using a commercial loan product likely has a number of loans already with the issuing bank.

  • Rental Property Investor · Shelton, CT · Member since 2012 · 92 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    I can’t even find15%. Who is offering this? 

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Diana T.:

    I can’t even find15%. Who is offering this? 

    It may just be owner-occupied. 

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 284 votes
    4y

    Same question ... where do I find a 15% down commercial loan (for an STR purchase)? I'm currently looking at 20% DSCR-based loans through private money lenders since I don't have a W2, but recently keep hearing about people using 15% down loans and am intrigued ...

    I saw recently that David Green & Rob are using a 15% down loan product for their Arizona luxury STR purchase

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    15% down is available for full doc conventional financing AND debt service coverage ratio loan for single family homes.  You do have to have decent credit for both options but fully available. 10% would have to be a portfolio loan that there is likely more to the story the simply 10% down. 

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 598 posts · 312 votes
    4y

    @Sean Bramble @Adam Philpot Thank you for posting about this! 10% down and no MI investment properties loans are available. Conventional investment loans require 15% down with MI for a 1 unit as Jay Hurst said, and 25% down on a 2-4 unit. At Academy Mortgage, we have a 10% down and no MI 30 year fixed investment loan for 1-4 unit properties that we portfolio on our books. It is underwritten per conventional guidelines so we are still looking at DTI, FICO, and Assets/Reserves, but since we keep the loan on our own books instead of a conventional loan that goes back to Fannie/Freddie, we can offer better interest rates and LTVs. Many of the BP investors who have left reviews on my BP Profile have used this investment loan solution to supercharge their rental portfolios these past couple years in states like WA, OR, ID, and AZ specifically. I am glad to talk about this more if any one is interested. I have helped a lot of investors with this loan solution and used it to grow my own rental portfolio as well.

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    But, do need to clarify, the 15% DSCR loan would NOT be available for for a first time investor. (would have to have at least 12 months of history) but the full documentation conventional loan would be fine for a first time investor.

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Adam Philpot:
    I’m always hearing on here about how investors only put down 10% or less. How is that possible with investment properties? I’m always told minimum 15% for investment properties.

    My client and I are about to close escrow on a STR $1.5M home in Sedona with 10% down. I'm seeing quite a few amazing loan programs popping up, which is allowing my clients to add to their cash flow portfolio, when they thought they were tapped out. In fact, if you've flipped at least 3 homes in the last 3 years, and have 650+ credit, you can do 90% LTV + $100k in rehab, wrapped in. DSCR and hard money options are quite exciting right now. But the program mentioned above, is bank investor financing.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.