Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Michael Guzik
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
If you want something done right... Do it yourself...?

Michael Guzik
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Dec 7 2017, 11:20

Howdy BP Community! I'm a beginning investor trying to house hack here in the best state in the country TEXAS. Sorry California, New York and Florida but you can't compete where you don't compare... ;) My question is an age old question that has haunted the REI community for many millennia... Should I get my real estate license or not to be a real estate investor? Agents aren't very investor friendly for the most part(thank you for those of you that are you are a blessing) and usually aren't going to want to go out on a Saturday or Sunday to look at a 150k investment property that you are considering. I completely understand why and try and put myself in their shoes, why would they spend their time with an investor looking at a 100k property when they could spend it helping a couple find a 300k home? This is still frustrating for me though, because this whole dealing with an agent just complicates things for me. I don't understand why I have to talk to an agent, who then speaks to the buyers agent who then speaks to the buyer. There is so much room for miscommunication and error. Not only that but from the agents I've talked to I feel like they I know more than them and that says a lot seeing as how I'm 19. Not to mention they don't realize that they are sales people and they aren't doing a very good job at selling the property and it's strengths, they are just like here it is, take it or leave it. I'm not going to say I'm the best at everything but I am going to say I'm the best at knowing what I want and helping myself get what I want. Is the saying if you want something done right do it yourself applicable to this situation? Or is it not worth the time and trouble to do all of that when you can get an agent to do it yourself? Are the real deals all off market in which you wouldn't necessarily need an agent? Is an agent or license even of value in today's market? Would getting a license help me speed up the process since I can represent myself and go view properties and pull up comps and stuff without waiting for someone else to do it? Thank you for reading this and I would appreciate any and all comments and opinions! I'm on the fence on this one so I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me see which is the best for me!

Loading replies...