If you can invest in the Bay Area, should you?

3 Replies

I'm curious for those who have investments and/or are investing in Bay Area properties. The price for entry is high, but assuming you've got enough capital to get into the market, is it still worth buying in the Bay vs. elsewhere (e.g. elsewhere in California vs out of state). I'm asking from the perspective of maximizing returns. Getting positive cash flow seems near impossible here so investing here might be making bets on appreciation...

-Dan

You can definitely cash flow here, @Saj S. can attest to that.

I'd say you have a much better chance at cash flowing in Multifamily units vs SFHs. I'd at least get one place here to house hack, after all you're paying rent to someone, it might as well be yourself. Then with the remaining money, there is a much lower barrier to entry in OOS properties that's true but you really have to know the market if you're planning on investing OOS. 

If you buy right, you can cash flow with 20% down on MF units, I'd recommend just finding some properties and running it through the rental property calculator to see.

Well why not! In my view the Bay Area is one of the strongest investment currencies in the world. If you can play here, you can play pretty much everywhere else in the world. The reverse unfortunately is not true because of the high cost of entry. Cash flowing is not easy but it depends on your priorities.

Hi I see your comments. But are there deals that can give you COC of 10% or higher. Probably not. I have been investing out of State for last 10 years and have done superbly well. I live in Danville, Ca. Would be interested if there are MF deals here.

I am only a Multifamily Investor. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.