4plex down payment options

9 Replies

Hi BP! If I want to buy a 4plex using a conventional loan, what would the down payment be? 20%? Or can you find something lower?

you can do 20%.  I recently did a loan for a borrower with a 20% down conventional

@Carlos Caloca - we put 20% Dow on the first four properties and now the banks want 25-30% but I believe 20% will do the trick on the first few deals. Good Luck 👍🏻

I bought 2 x fourplexes earlier this year with conventional 30y fixed loans. Chase made me put 25% down because I told them it was an investment property. But if I was moving into one of the units as my primary residence I could put 20% down. It depends on the lender and the type of loan.

Good luck!

Joel

Hi Joel - this is correct and this a Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac guideline.  Not a lender guideline. 

Thanks for the replies guys! So is there another way to get a 2-4 unit with a lower down payment other than FHA?

Hi Carlos - With a conventional lender, you will be looking at 25% down for an investment property. You can go the private lender route, which sometimes will allow close to 90% of purchase price for financing. There are creative financing solutions based on what goals you are trying to accomplish. 

I've heard Credit Unions offer lower downpayment options

@Carlos Caloca - There is a 5% down conventional loan program if you owner occupy.  It's availability and income requirements depend on the census tract but you can check the address here

http://www.freddiemac.com/homepossible/eligibility...

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Wisconsin (#57846-90) and Illinois (#471.018287)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.