4plex down payment options

9 Replies

Hi BP! If I want to buy a 4plex using a conventional loan, what would the down payment be? 20%? Or can you find something lower?

you can do 20%.  I recently did a loan for a borrower with a 20% down conventional

@Carlos Caloca - we put 20% Dow on the first four properties and now the banks want 25-30% but I believe 20% will do the trick on the first few deals. Good Luck 👍🏻

I bought 2 x fourplexes earlier this year with conventional 30y fixed loans. Chase made me put 25% down because I told them it was an investment property. But if I was moving into one of the units as my primary residence I could put 20% down. It depends on the lender and the type of loan.

Good luck!

Joel

Hi Joel - this is correct and this a Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac guideline.  Not a lender guideline. 

Thanks for the replies guys! So is there another way to get a 2-4 unit with a lower down payment other than FHA?

25% down payment  2-4 units for investment property. 

Hi Carlos - With a conventional lender, you will be looking at 25% down for an investment property. You can go the private lender route, which sometimes will allow close to 90% of purchase price for financing. There are creative financing solutions based on what goals you are trying to accomplish. 

I've heard Credit Unions offer lower downpayment options

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here