Appraisal value vs comp value

2 Replies

What’s going on BP family I’m inching closer to pulling my first deal . My budget will basically force me to tackle long distance properties. Which I have no problem with. I’ve learned the invaluable skill of networking over the past few months so it will be that much more of a stream line process. My question is I’m going to do a flip and or BRRR depending on if I can sell or not. Can the house be appraised for much higher than the comps that are being sold due to the market? And in that case would holding be a better option?

I don't think a house will appraise much higher than comparables. Usually that's why they are used as comparables. Holding a property in hopes it will appreciate is risky, but people do it all the time.

Since one of the biggest things the appraiser looks at is the comps to set their price, I thinking the answer is "NO".  That doesn't mean you couldn't sell it for higher than the appraisal.  In that case, the buyer would have to bring more cash to the table to make up the difference.

I've run into this a number of times.  If the buyer agrees, the deal can happen.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here