Investing out of state - take a property management class?

6 Replies

Hi there,

My local community college is offering a property management course.  I am interested in long distance out-of-state investing.  I have heard horror stories about bad property managers and horrible tenants.  

Do you think it'd be worth it to take the course?  

Course Description:

The course illustrates how skilled management practice can assure the production of maximum financial yield to investment real estate. The students gain an overview of the many different types of properties in which they might become involved. The course considers the specific duties of management, including the establishing rental schedule, merchandising available space, collecting rent, creating and supervising maintenance schedules and repairs, supervising all purchasing, developing a tenant relationship policy, and maintaining proper accounting records. This course is an elective toward a Real Estate Broker's License.  

Learning more about a real estate never hurts. Worst comes to worst, you don't learn much from it, but it is a refresher to keep you up to date. In an ideal situation you learn something that will help you out in years to come. Not much to lose from attending. Typically if it is college sponsored it has some merit to it and won't be someone trying to sell you something. It will probably give you some insight on what to look for in a good property manager as well seeing as you will be needing to hire one if you are interested in investing out of state. 

Depends on the class and whether you intend to manage yourself or hire a PM.

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)
239-200-5600

@all, thanks for all the input!  I'll be registering for the class -- I'll post here on if it benefited me or not.  Happy new year.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.